Heroin was my best friend and my worst enemy

I’m 13 days sober today. My addiction started innocently enough just messing around with pain pills. I never had a steady connection so I had decent control as I could never get high for more than 2 weeks at a time and then I’d have to wait for my connection again and would usually have at least a week off. But then I found a steady connection and soon percocet turned to oxy which then became heroin as my tolerance increased. Eventually my girlfriend found out and broke up with me. I then went into a further downward spiral. Over the course of 6 months I overdosed three times and got an impaired driving charge. Things were bleak. My last overdose was the last time I used. Apparently I stopped breathing for some time and they ended up using 4 narcan doses to get me back. I’m in a methadone program now and it’s been working so far. I’m really looking forward to one month clean. I get depressed from time to time because I still miss my girlfriend but I try to focus on my recovery and I have a cousin that has been very supportive . He had a problem with oxy so he knows what I’m going through. I get my car back soon so I plan to start going to meetings and maybe get a sponsor. Coming to these forums helps. For every thread I’ve read I truly hope everyone on here can beat their demon(s).

8 Likes

I would talk to your doctor about tapering down on methadone unless you want to be on this vicious cycle forever. You will withdrawl from methadone too. I can relate to this on so many levels. I started snorting pills, they cut them off and turn to snorting dope then to iv’n heroin 2-3 bags turn to 3-5 buns a day. Im 15 days clean today from it all . Goodluck to you! …

5 Likes

Did you go cold turkey? I tried that once and it was bad. I think I was up for 4 straight days. Like not even a second of sleep unless it was that kind of sleep where you’re not sure if you fell asleep or not. And that was just one symptom I don’t even want to mention some of the others. And yeah I plan to get off methadone quickly. I’m at 30mgs and I refuse to go up because I feel decent enough. Good luck to you too.

3 Likes

I did not go cold turkey i used one 8mg sub and did it for 9 days taking the smallest piece to keep me from sweating n chills i still felt some withdrawls still shining through. After about 3 days off the sub i started to finally sleep 5 hrs without throwing every pillow off the bed and floppin like a fish. Im starting to get my energy back the last 2 days… it gets better every day. Even 10mg of methadone is too high to drop of. Ive tried the methadone b4 but never really had much sucess. Maybe if i had tried the liquid methadone to portion smaller i could have… Your going to have to pay the piper alil from yrs of abuse… But good luk to you . You can do this…

1 Like

I’m 41 days heroin/fentanyl free (well, I’m clean from all drugs in general those were just my DOC).

I just want to say I know how hard it is and I don’t know you but I’m proud of you! I’m on a methadone program as well.

Stay strong and if there’s anytime you need to talk to someone with a very similar story from the sounds of things… I’m here .

1 Like

Keep staying clean! It’s always easy to go back. I got married and after 3 years got divorced. Found another guy I fell in love with but after 3 months found out he’s on heroin. It broke my heart!! I tried to help him, did everything I could for him to stop but he didn’t want to!!! so I decided why don’t I try heroin and maybe he will understand how it feels to watch your loved one be on this shit. Well I tried once, twice, a week, a month… and I got addicted, and we both started using! I lost my new house, my 2 cars I had, my job in the hospital, friends, and family. We pawned everything we could!!! We both fell to the bottom!!! I overdosed 2 times. I was on heroin for 3 years with my boyfriend, we wanted to quit heroin many times but getting methadone to quit heroin was very hard and expensive and if we did try to get methadone we would give our money and never see the guy. Well my boyfriend and I started methadone 2 years ago and we both have been clean (clean UA’s) for 1 year and 3 months. My highest dose of methadone was 130mg and now im 16 mg left. I was going down 8mg a week but now I’m going down 2mg a week because I’m starting to feel the withdrawals. I’m hoping to be off of methadone in a few months. I’m so happy I started this program because I gained everything back. I got my family back, I didn’t get my friends back because I don’t need people like that who left me when I needed the most help. I bought new car, trying to buy new house, soon gonna start college and try to get my job back. I never want to go back to where I was. I know it’s hard but it’s worth it!!! I hope you keep staying clean on the methadone program and I wish u all the best! Hope my story helps in any way.

5 Likes

Whatever way you choose to do it just dont use I say the same thing that people heroin was my best friend my only friend my boyfriend and I use together everyday and yes I was a functioning heroin addict went to work everyday going to school I love heroin it was my love but it destroyed me in so many ways so I decided it was time and am now 9 days cold turkey I still don’t feel the greatest but I’m definitely over the hump I’ve never felt so sick in my life but it can be done is definitely not for the weak whatever you do just remember this is your life not heroines life

3 Likes

Ahhh how i can relate to every story here . I was on opiates for 10yrs and got a gf hooked too and life went down quick . 30k savings gone in no time…lost a car… i was a very functioning h addict i always went to work feeling unstopable with a i dont give a fuk additude. Heroin was more of a thrill then sex…smh …im glad those days are in the past

Me too its a battle but i feel like I just kicked the shit ass

1 Like

Me too today i finally woke up with energy n motivation that has been pushed thru all day… ive been off subs for a week now … it feels good as usually it always felt like withdrawls would be a never ending cycle even subs … im here with ya with kickin this habbits ass… i definetly have another high left in me but not another withdrawl…

Thanks for the support.

Amen I hear that! :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

That’s something to look forward to. I’ve been telling myself just get to the three week mark and the feeling of being normal should start coming back. I just want to wake up and not feel so cold from the inside and my energy to come back. Then once I get energy I need to hit the gym and that should help along the whole process.

That’s awesome that you went CT. I’m thinking by the 14 day mark you should be done with the WDs completely. What amount daily were you up to when you went CT? I was up to a gram a day and CT just didn’t feel like an option because of work.

I was up to at least a gram…I had two days off work then took a sick day… it was rough and it wasn’t pretty but i wanted it so bad!

Congrats on your sobriety! My brother passed away in 2016 from a heroin OD. He was very high functioning, no one even knew he had a problem. We all knew that he drank… he was a musician and stand up comedian so drinking was just the lifestyle. He had a dramatic experience with a break up and I think that is when he chose to go down that path but the reality is I will never know how or when he got into it. I just know he must have been in a lot of emotional pain. Pain that he didn’t share with his friends or his family. It was a shock to use all and losing him to something that could have been prevented is beyond heartbreaking. It’s part of what made me want to get sober, I do not want to be another tragedy for my family. I am sure you don’t want to be that either. One day at a time!

1 Like

You can do it ! I’m 49 days clean from heroin today. I’ve done cold turkey and I’ve done suboxone. Do what ever you need to do to get clean. People are dieing left right and center lately. Going to meetings will defiantly help . But you need to make sure you do the step work. It will help you awnser the questions about yourself you need to know, to become aware of why you use. Once your aware then you can fix the issues. Last time I got clean I just got clean but didn’t do the work to stay clean . This time I’m doing what ever it takes.

2 Likes

How long did it take you to sleep and get your energy back?? I’m on day 10 CT and i start classes tonight after working my full time job idk if I’m going to make it…

Sorry to hear about your brother. I’m tearing up just thinking about it. It’s likely he started earlier than anyone would guess. For some people if he’s anything like me, he just hid it really well for awhile. Congrats on being sober though. It’s a great accomplishment. Like you said, one day at a time. Thanks for the support.

Thanks @ThreeEleven, I think you’re right. I think he was living a double life for a while and just hid it very very well. His roommate at the time (who is totally sober) even had a sister that had a heroin addiction and he didn’t notice any of the signs. But don’t we all just hide our problem until we can’t anymore? I know most of the world would look at me even my close friends and be surprised to hear me say “I’m an alcoholic”. The detective did tell me that many people just starting out on H od because they don’t know the proper dosage, but I think he may have just been telling me that to make me feel better and to think this wasn’t a long time problem. At first I was so mad because he was smart enough that night to take an Uber home from the bar because he was too drunk to drive but not smart enough to just go to sleep instead of taking that hit that killed him.

1 Like