Hey Dad...?

On Sunday, it will be the third Father’s Day I’ve spent without you - without you here. I never imagined you could die so suddenly, that you were as sick as you were with cancer, but - you did die, and my head knows it was a blessing you didn’t suffer any longer than you did, but me and my heart miss you every day.

I’m sorry, so sorry, that I haven’t grieved you honorably, since you died. I turned to drinking to try to take some of the pain away, but I know now that the only way out of this grief is through it - sober. Truth be told, I don’t think I’ll ever be done grieving you, and that’s ok - timelines don’t apply to the enormity of this loss… Already, though, only after 2 years, the sharp edges of my grief are also turning into gratitude for you, turning into smiles when I think about you and something you would have done or said.

Help me to be more like you - your quiet, solid, dependable strength. Remember when you gave up cigarettes, cold turkey, when you turned 50 - and didn’t tell a soul, just stopped smoking and started running? Until we all clued in? I don’t know what kind of inner dialogue or turbulence you went through when you kicked that habit, but it never showed.

On Sunday, I’ll probably cry, probably want to drink, but please let me find some of your silent strength and courage in my own genetic material and do you proud instead. I wish I could give you one of the long-sleeved t-shirts you loved and something homemade to eat, but I can’t. So I will give you a sober day. I will spend it with you, and talk to you, and cry if I need to, and likely laugh and smile too. Help me to grieve you, and to go on living too, just as I know you would want me to.

Thank you for being the best Dad on the planet - for me.

22 Likes

Thank you so much for your post.

2 Likes

Beautifully said :two_hearts::heart: you can be strong-for your dad

2 Likes

Beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing!

1 Like

This is beautiful my heart goes out to you x

1 Like

This was worth the read, brought a tear to my eye, loss can really put things into perspective.

Thanks for the share.

1 Like

Happy fathers day, all you dads! please just know that all it takes is to do your best - you don’t need to be perfect. We daughters already think you are… :wink:
Dad? I’ve heard. Plenty of daughters can’t say the same about their dad, but I can of you. Thank you for being my greatest blessing :slight_smile:

1 Like

:sob: Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. Story sounds similar, lost my dad to cancer in 2012 he was 53.

1 Like

Yeah a wonderful post. I am thinking of my own Dad. He has passed on. All the same happy Father’s day Dad.

2 Likes

Amazing! :purple_heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart: my dad passed when I was 19 (he was only 44). Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

So beautiful!!! Love remains forever and purifies everything. Thank you for sharing this :heart:

2 Likes

Absolutely beautiful! This made me cry. I never grieved the loss of my dad until I got sober. Today is the 1st sober father’s day without him. I’m sure he’s proud of me, just as much as your dad is proud of you.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this! I can relate in several ways and it was amazing to read your touching tribute :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes