Hi first post

Hi I’m 39 been struggling with alcohol and drugs most of adult life . Last 2 months been slowly getting worse .been doctors and on anti delression tablets as have been struggling mentally for while , 2 weeks ago self harmed myself with a knife on forearm .
I dont drink everyday but soon as do makes me want drugs and eases everthing for a short while.

2 Likes

I totally understand how u feel I used to drink followed by drugs and my life got totally out of control. Have u got any local aa meetings u could try out ? They really helped me to sort my life out . X

1 Like

Hi yes had been going in fits and starts mate, just got back into contact this morning . They doing zoom meetings now so will join them. U been soda long ?

I’m back at day 3 again I managed 8 months and relapsed I’ve been really struggling to get back on track again but I know life is so much better without drink and drugs. I’m also giving zoom meetings a go until face to face meetings start up again x

I done something similar went 6 months clean. Thought could just go back to having few beers and did but then boom bang at it again 2 day benders fucking ridiculous. Do they have zoom meeting on here?

1 Like

Welcome Andrew. I’m proud of you for deciding to become sober.

I highly recommend checking in daily to keep focus in the checking daily to maintain focus thread.

I also recommend finding some activities to fill time like, running, cycling, working out, meditation/mindfulness, crafts, drawing, reading etc.

Mindfulness is also great of letting go of past shame and guilt since it teaches you to let your thoughts pass without giving them any attention.

This is a weird suggestion, but I recommend giving your addiction a name. Sobriety became easier for me once I named my addiction Brutus. It is no longer an enemy hiding in the shadows now, but now I know my enemy and now I can fight it better.

I also recommend reading on this forum a lot on this forum and asking questions if you have any.

You can make sobriety a lot easier. It’s really hard to think about staying sober for the rest of my life. If I think, do I want to stay sober for the rest of my life? I think hell no. But I can and want to stay sober for today. The next day, I also think I can stay sober for today. and so on.

Don’t think about not using for life but think about not using today. Do that every day, and it gets way easier. If you are very deep in the shit, you can even think, I’ll stay sober the next 5 minutes.

Don’t listen to your mind, your mind will not stop being a dick, it will be a dick less and less, but it will never fully stop being a dick.

If you have cravings, just play the tape. By that I mean, pretend that you abuse again, then try foreseeing the future. Will it be all butterflies and roses, because you feel so awesome when relapsing, or will it be shame, self-disgust and disappointment you feel.

When your mind tells you that you can use once, that’s bullshit, the biggest bullshit ever. Your addiction just tries to find a way to get satisfied.

I also recommend following the twelve step-program with a sponsor.

I hope this helps

Good luck, you’ve got this. :smiley:

Thank you very much , only been on here a day and reading some ppl comments and struggles made me realise i aint strange just need help

1 Like

hi, andrew! we’re glad you’re here. feel free to share as much of your story as you’d like on talking sober. it’s a safe space :heart:

1 Like