Hit 5 days, but I'm so sad

I hit the 5 day milestone 9 minutes ago. Tomorrow is the big day, it’s the day I always choose to drink. I really want to make it but I’ve been so sad this week. So alone feeling. I’ve been tempted to break not only my goal of not drinking this Friday, but my long standing rule of not drinking during the week.

I’ve cried myself to sleep the last 3 nights, and tonight isn’t looking any better. I don’t have anyone I feel comfortable talking to about this. I have a LOT of deep seated trust issues that I’ve been trying to confront this week and it’s not helping. It’s feels like it’s just sinking me deeper into sadness. Like I did something wrong to deserve this, being let down so often by so many…including myself. I just had to get these feelings out. Sorry.

10 Likes

Don’t be sorry for getting your feelings out the more you keep in the sicker you will get I’ve really took advantage of the journal on here just letting it out in any form is helpful. Congratulations on 5 days thats no easy thing there was a time I couldn’t go a hour. It gets easier with time the key is not to give up and if your worried about day 6 then take that day and fill it to the brim with things to keep you busy fill it with people who will keep you accountable take that day to go to a meeting and find someone out there recovery is hard to do alone if not impossible. When I have nights like that and just feel the weight of the fight on my chest I youtube videos of other addicts and there aa lead hearing there story relate to there story and hear what they have over come just lifts the weight right off. Don’t give up my friend it takes time for you mind to reset and stop feeling like your missing something that’s just your addiction fighting to get back in.

1 Like

Thank your for sharing. I can’t even begin to explain the extreme loneliness and sadness I’ve felt especially while trying to get sober. It was always the worse after drinking and trying to stay sober again. Stay strong, just remember alcohol won’t make it better in the long run you’ll end up feeling worse.

2 Likes

Hey coley thanks for sharing your thoughts congrats on 5 days of sobriety you’ve definitely come far. Let’s keep it going don’t let sadness get the best of you and take away your progress. Instead feel the feels sit with them. Journal out how you’re feeling and thoughts cry it out if you need too, be your own best friend . Treat yourself to something nice tomorrow for day 6. Take a nice walk and talk to the most high about how you feel and what you’re going through. I can definitely relate to getting to a certain number of days then going back to what I know only made me feel regret, even deeper sadness, even more loneliness I’ve come to the conclusion my feelings have been surpressed long enough with alcohol. It got to a point I was just annoyed with the alcohol taking over my life. So I challenged myself to do productive things. Workouts , better eating then on the weekend i now allow myself to indulge in tasty foods not even having a second thought of wanting to drink. So I guess you can say I tricked my mind by restricting more then just alcohol from my life at once that the next thing( cheat day foods lol) becomes more desirable. The benefit of saying no each day is so much greater that that moment you’re going to regret the next day. Stay strong and continue to post you have a great community at your finger tips to give you words of encouragement. And little golden nuggets to get through. You got this :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Hello! I am at day 4 and just like you today was a normal day i would drink because I am off work tomorrow, but for me would turn into a weekend binger. I also felt sad and alone, I also have been crying myself to sleep, and today I fought through ever urge. You are not alone, and you are strong. YOU GOT THIS. I am here and you can always message me.

2 Likes

Well friday was day 2, well it was supposed to be anyway. Friend at work who I didnt even knw used in the first place, brought out acouple lines on our lunch. She hit my weak spot and I fear she kind of played me…she new I have been struggling and she told me from the begining that she understands what Im going through and that she supports me. Im not mad or upset with her what so ever, just kind of surprised really. I didnt stand a chance against myself tbh. But I am going to continue and stay positive. Which is a task in its self for me these days. So for now Im currently trying to NOT beat myself up. One day at a time.

Choice! You nailed it. Drinking was always a choice. You now can chose something else, something better. Being active here will help.

Congrats on 5 days, that’s a big accomplishment. Please remember as you progress with soberity you are detoxing from a depressant. Therefore, you are going to have days of despair because your body is currently confused by the absence of alcohol. These days are only temporary and they will pass with time. Continue to remain yourself the reasons you began this new lifestyle. Let the tears flow, as crying is the bodies normal reaction to stress relief. Keep posting and reading here. And keep up the hard work, you are worthy of the rewards it will bring.

2 Likes