Holiday stigma

The holidays are a trigger for most. My mother is furious at me because i refuse to go to dinner with her my brother and his girlfriend. My brother and his gf are in active addiction i know when he comes to get me its going to be with a giant bottle of liqour. So im not going im too young in recovery. She says all these things oh the holidays are so lonely i just want to be with my family. As an addict i have to treat the holidays like any other day i cant think about everyone else drinking and such. I hate the stigma around holidays and people not wanting to be alone. I have to be alone during this time.

12 Likes

Good on you for sticking to your guns and protecting your sobriety mate, you are ultimately doing the best thing. I know that it may upset your mum a little bit it’s nowhere near as much as if she was to lose you to your addiction. Happy Christmas bud. :+1::slightly_smiling_face::+1::slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Stick to your guns Sean. They will get over it when they realise that you are serious and are making a better life for yourself.

3 Likes

Good plan man. Getting sober is the number one priority for all of us or we’ll probably fail. I’m struggling like fuck today and I’m not even around anyone drinking. You got this brah

3 Likes

I’m sure your mom appreciates your sobriety otherwise, so it’s frustrating that she can’t understand that events like these might directly mess with all the hard work you’ve put in.
Just for now.

It’s a thing that we all have to deal with unfortunately. It is true that we shouldn’t ask people to change their habits for us, but it’s also true they can’t expect us to be the same either.

3 Likes

Good for you. Stay strong. And…Happy Holidays.

1 Like

My girlfriend ended up coming over and were getting disgustingly full on pizza and wings and watching the peanut butter falcon. This movie is so good i love shia lebouf haha

2 Likes