Holidays just suck sometimes

Holidays are tough, relapsed last night after 147 day’s sober :disappointed_relieved: I am sad…but I’m ok Today’s Christmas Dinner will be hard,I have no whiskey in the house . My Doc. I need to get up, clean up . And give it my all. Craving will pass, life is great sober ! I screwed up…not happy at all … kinda ok

6 Likes

The holidays is just like any other day - just undo stress thrown on top. Keep working on being sober…off to solid start with little bump.

7 Likes

I agree with @Rob68, the holidays are just days with added stuff involved (says the grandmother whose kids and grandson live far away). We can put so much added pressure on ourselves to create some Hallmark / Pinterest / Instagram / TV commercial version of life over the holidays…ugh. I like keeping it simple these days…bake a few treats to enjoy, decorate the tree as a fun family project if others want to, if not, no tree is fine too. Go out somewhere for dinner and a movie on Christmas. Send off my packages early. Skip the holiday parties. If I could I would go sledding and snowshoeing and maybe decorate a tree in the woods…I always loved doing that up north. Anyway…try to be kinder to yourself. And get back at being sober. The holidays will feel more manageable without the anxiety and guilt of hangovers. :heart:

9 Likes

I agree with @SassyRocks & @Rob68. Holidays are just another day. We have put it into our brains that those days are dedicated to drinking, but they really aren’t. Take a hot shower, get dressed, and get ready for the day. I’ve relapsed several times. Life doesn’t end bc of it. Just keep pushing forward and tell yourself this time that you will not drink today. Wake up tomorrow telling yourself the same thing. :heart:

4 Likes

I agree with all of the above. We just talked about this at my AA meeting last night. We need to do what’s best for our sobriety and not put so much into what everyone else is doing for the holiday. It’s just another day. So many at my meeting are taking advantage of staying home and just enjoying a day off.

3 Likes

I believe that was a record for you, Sandy.

It was good. Maybe adding a new change to your life to help you through this setback would be in order. Any thoughts? A meeting, an exercise regimen, increased check ins on TS, etc.

2 Likes

You drank once in 147 days. Now make it more days sober this time. Dont beat yourself up, you’re doing great.

2 Likes

That was a record for me!!! 147 was wonderful, it’s sad knowing that I can pick up a drink and carry on like that 147 days means nothing, but I added another day 1😊

3 Likes

I look at this the other way, it’s empowering to know that I will be right in the same shits creek with turds for paddles if I drink again even after a lengthy stretch.

Brings about an absolute feeling that I am an alcoholic, and nothing will change that, the only cure is sobriety.

Good on you for making it a short reprieve and getting back to a day won/one. Lots of people slide all the way back, some die.

3 Likes

I’ve had 2 really close friends die in the past 6 years from it. One my ex husband and recently an old boyfriend; I think of them when I get the urge. Like they’re rooting for me…:two_hearts:

4 Likes