Horrible Day 1

Day 1 and I feel awful. Withdrawals, shaking, heart pounding… I want this day to be over! I want to jump ahead to next week when this is behind me. I’m drinking as much water as I can, and managed to keep down some Advil. I can’t do this to myself again. This has to be my last Day 1.

13 Likes

You can do this!!

1 Like

That’s why it’s a day at a time. Hopefully tomorrow is better. But you made the first step remind yourself of that every time you feel like giving up. Unfortunately today’s feelings are a good reference point for when you get tempted in the future. Never wanting to feel that way again. Like the red hot chili peppers song.

2 Likes

Under the bridge

1 Like

Go for it,push ahead, stay strong, ( i am telling the same to me ) day by day !

2 Likes

I know how you’re feeling, my last day 1 was awful, I’m so glad I pushed through to get to where I am now. It’s worth fighting for trust me, by getting sober and staying sober your life will transform.

Keep checking in here, share how you’re feeling, there’s lots of help from some amazing people. If you are open to the idea maybe try a support group, AA made a big difference to me after many years of short success and progressively worse relapses and failures leading me to feel how you are feeling now.

Keep fighting, the withdrawal took about 5 days for me after the mother of all benders, I felt like it would never end but it does.

Stay strong and stay sober.

2 Likes

The first few days are bad… I tried to keep occupied…walking reading… anything but drink…after about 3 days I was feeling better…I did also have some meds to help me through the last relapse…just hang in there mate…it is worth it!

2 Likes

Definitely stay occupied, and definitely get as much good nutrition and rest as you can.

1 Like

I will keep checking this thread for updates… people on here are rooting for you😊

1 Like

One hour at a time. Proud of you!

1 Like

Yes, today has been about surviving each hour. Ugh!

2 Likes

They first days are sooooo hard but they make us into true warriors! Keep it up!

1 Like

Keep sipping water, try to sleep, try some meditation, eat as often and as healthy as you can, when you can’t sleep, just rest and if you’re restless get out for a walk and some fresh air. It will pass so keep fighting.

2 Likes

push through it, you’ll want to kick yourself if you don’t. It does get better I promise. But yh, stay rested, hydrated and try and eat something. And if you get bored, make sure u do something to keep busy. Good luck and well done for taking the first step . You’ll be glad you did, I’ve yet to hear someone say " I regret getting sober"

1 Like

I just got through another day 1 too. I was incredibly irritable, angry and depressed for most of the day. “Enjoing” my drinks was not worth it. Crazy enough, by this evening I wanted to chug liquor. Good thing I don’t have any. Let’s keep going!

4 Likes

What you felt today will be tough but it’ll be the worst of it. It’ll get better I promise. Every day is an award in itself and before the weekend, you’ll feel so much more alive!
Withdrawals are awful, I will never forget my last one. Motivation and memories to quit though! Stay strong!

2 Likes

I hope your feeling a bit better allready. It is worth it!

1 Like

Thoughts are with you. The first few days are horrible. Keep pushing through!

1 Like

On to day 2 and I’m starting to feel at least human again. I did a lot of online reading about withdrawal symptoms so I know I’m not dying and my experience is to be expected. But I also read that the first week is rough and I have a few more withdrawal days ahead of me… I completely deserve this misery after how much I’ve been drinking!

I know I kept looking up my withdrawal symptoms in my detox period and it definitely made me feel better. Like you said, just to confirm I wasn’t dying, haha. I was able to look at those sites and feel happy that it was all “normal” and that if I could stay clean it would get much better. I know the old me would have thought, “a few more days of this shit? Fuck that, not worth it!”

2 Likes