Houstonian who needs help

Hey guys,

I’m new to this app. My name is Johnnie, I’m from Houston, Texas. I’m an addict who has relapsed several times over the past few months. I did a chemical dependency program over the summer but it was unable to stick. My biggest problem is trying to get myself to care about my well-being. The past few months I feel like I don’t care about myself enough to get the help I need to stay sober. I kinda feel lost and I really need the support. I really need help and I want to care again.

5 Likes

Thank you!

Welcome! If you came looking for support and encouragement you came to the right place!

1 Like

Thank you! I honestly think that this was the right think to do. It really did make my night. Thank you so much for reaching out :heart:

1 Like

Hey Johnnie
Sorry your feeling so down on yourself. Welcome to the forum. Have you got any other support down there in Houston? AA or other type of sobriety programs you can look into? Or some on line meetings if in person meetings aren’t possible. This is a great place to share your thoughts and feelings and ask for help. It sure is hard work staying sober. But the benefits are well worth it and so are you.
:pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes

I’m looking at sobriety groups at the moment so hopefully I can single one out. I just wish I wasn’t an addict

2 Likes

Identifying that you’re an addict is a great start. When I turned it over to God that was a great help for me. And it can be any higher power you believe in.
:pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes

Welcome Johnnie,

Dig right in. Read a lot and post often.

I am glad you’re here.

1 Like

Acceptance, you can’t change your an addict but start to look around at your life and adapt to not drinking, its not easy nothing about our addiction is don’t feed it, don’t let it consume you. Reaching out and letting yourself be vulnerable to the approach of yes I’m an addict but I’m choosing to be sober, to try a new way of clean living. Slowly as you accept and don’t hide or feel so shit about being an addict do you feel the strength to keep going on this journey.

2 Likes

Double edged blade there, can be your biggest asset in sobriety or your mightiest downfall. I’m an alcoholic, and I’m grateful, truly grateful, that I have accepted it. 1 is too much, 1000 is not enough. I wouldn’t know all these fine people or others I have met in IOP and meetings if I wasn’t an alcoholic, they are some of the best people I have ever crossed paths with honestly.

Welcome to the forum pal, read and relate, you got something to add or reiterate, say it because sobriety works best together.

4 Likes

https://www.menningerclinic.org/

2 Likes

Welcome Johnie. Learning to love ourselves is difficult. It took a lot of practice for me. I literally had to look at myself in the mirror each day and say “I love you”. I hated mirrors when I was in active addiction so it was a huge challenge for me.