How are you dealing?

With this worldwide scare of the coronavirus, how are dealing / coping with what may be going on where you are? Where I am, food is being limited and sometimes completely out of stock, jobs are being cut, places are shutting down, and heating supplies are scarce.

4 Likes

I’m in London. It’s just a completely weird atmosphere, everyone is on edge but I have noticed a community spirit emerging. People are actually asking neighbours if they need anything! Rare in London.
It’s Mother’s Day today but mine is in self isolation, just trying her best not to get it.
I went to Columbia Rd flower market this morning. It opens at 8am but I got there at 7 before anyone else got there. Got the biggest bunch of flowers ever for ÂŁ50.00. Bargain!
The roads are vertually empty. I was there & back in an hour. Luckily for me, it’s not going to affect my job but this thing is a real game changer. It’s going to change our country massively. I can’t see how restaurants, bars, shops, airlines etc can afford to just sit it out for a few months. We are all going to have to help our families, friends & neighbours as much as we possibly can from here on in & stop panic buying is a must. If we buy what we would normally, the shelves will stay full.
Good luck everyone, we are in uncharted territory.

4 Likes

I agree completely…this is a time where we should be coming together. Don’t get me wrong I totally understand the need for isolation especially with the elderly but this selfish bulk buying is wrong. At the moment my job is safe as well but that could change at any moment.
One day at a time.

2 Likes

It’s changing daily. I can’t believe the difference in 1 week! We haven’t even got any aeroplanes fly over any more. I really hope the cases start levelling out soon.

1 Like

I’m in California and we are somewhat “locked down”. Essential infrastructure businesses only are in operation. But we are still encouraged to get out for walks but keeping our social distancing in effect.

As far as coping…
This honestly has been a huge help for me since I never drank at home. Shutting bars and restaurants down has somewhat shut down part of my impetus to drink. Plus it’s giving me a time of solitude to do some creative work that has been pushed back over that last few months.

And in my free time, making dumb stuff like this for the internet to enjoy…

6 Likes

Everything is shut down here except essential businesses. We’re encouraged to stay home. We can go for walks with 6 foot distance and 8pm curfew. I would love to have more time to get caught up on housework but still have to work remotely so that’s not happening. I’m really missing my 2 weekly AA meetings. Been doing the on line meetings but it’s just not the same, I miss the women I’ve gotten comfortable with in my meetings.

2 Likes

I’m up in the mountains in flagstaff AZ. Got a good friend in London and we communicate on what’s app daily. She’s gone 70 and I worry about her being alone but she says she got some good friends. My sister in Boston area with 3 children I worry about. Daughter in Cali. Son in Dallas. Niece,who is like a second daughter, in Austin. I am so grateful they all have great spouses. Of course I worry about them. I’m so relieved my parents are dead after five long years of battling Alzheimer’s/dementia they both had it at the same time. It was really brutal and hard to deal with. It may sound selfish but it was a really hard five years. So I guess I’m dealing with this by thinking of the things I’m grateful for. My biggest fear is if something happens to me and the wife, we are gone sixty, what will happen to my 4 cats and 2 dogs? I keep reassuring myself I am healthy and if I get sick I’ll recover. I just cannot think so far in advance about how the world will be when we get through this. I do wish we had a leader in America we could look to instead of this fucking moron. It didn’t have to be like this. We could have been more prepared. It still would have been bad. Probably really bad. But we had warning. We watched it happen in other countries and we did nothing. I try to limit my news because it gets depressing. But you got to keep up with what is going on so I take in a bit of news probably more than I should. I picked a great year to become sober. If I was drinking I would be a mess. I plan on getting through this, God Willing, with a clear head for my wife children and especially my pets. Cuz they wouldn’t understand if they lost us. God Bless everyone. Sorry for the ramble. But I feel good getting this out there. Love you guys.
:heart::pray:t2:

6 Likes

I totally agree with this!! We should have been prepared!!

6 Likes

How am I dealing with it?
Just concerned about what I can control.
Shops have no stock. Out of my control, accept and move on.
Wash hands, stay away from people.
Still working, but that’s cuss I work on my own.
Basically, I’ve practiced social distancing for years.

7 Likes

I hear you, its nice to have online meetings as an outlet but no they are definitely not the same…have you tried calling your lady AA friends

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing and I pray for you and your family to stay safe and healthy during these trying times

1 Like

I’m in the states and I’m honestly worried my job is going to shut down. (I work fast food)
I’m more worried about being exposed and I turn exposing my 80 year old mother in law or my very frail mother.
How am I coping? Running when I can and The Sims. It helps.

3 Likes

Just like the serenity prayer…accept the things I can not change

2 Likes

That is difficult when you have elderly loved ones to worry about

1 Like

We’ve been texting but I’m such an introvert that I don’t make calls. I don’t wanna bother anyone. I know that sounds silly, it’s just my stupid mind thinking who wants to waste their time talking to me? Lol. A text can be replied to at their convenience.

3 Likes

Well, I thank you. I appreciate the topic and appreciate reading all the responses. And God bless you and those kids. One day at a time is the only way to take it right now.
:pray::heart:

2 Likes

Trust me you are NOT inconveniencing them at all, they want to hear from you

1 Like

That Is so sad, how aweful about the items being stolen from the hospital…but on the other I am so glad you have community of people willing to help you out in these times of need

1 Like

You’re welcome…I knew I wasnt the only one out there wanting to check in with everyone :pray::heartbeat:

So far so good. Groceries over here (Amsterdam) are restocking OK it seems. I work in health care (mental health nurse in residential care) but strangely enough I’m off for 2 weeks at the moment. Only person I meet up with is my bestie. All my other friends and family I stay away from. I do have more intense online contacts with them all.
Now the number of infections, and hospital and ICU admissions is rising steadily and sharply at the moment. They say the next 2 weeks are going to be crucial and we will have to wait and see if our health care system can cope. Social distancing didn’t work too great this weekend with lots of folks going out to enjoy the sunshine. The rules here are less stringent as they are in the surrounding countries. With some good arguments, but so do the people in the other countries. We;ll see who’s right.
Scary stuff. Makes me anxious. But dealing with it all OK so far. One day at a time.

4 Likes