How can i cope with social anxiety after quarantine?

i haven’t seen my boyfriend in months. i really miss him and we both agreed to meet up and cuddle with a movie as soon as quarantine was over.
i know my anxiety is going to be a wreck that day. i get extremely nauseated and weak from social anxiety and just thinking about showing up to his house having a meltdown is making me feel sick.
we’re in a happy relationship and we always have so much fun together and i dont understand why i get so terrified around him whenever we dont hang out for a while, especially this long
how can i cope with my social anxiety to make sure that our day together won’t be filled with agonizingly painful anxiety cramps and shaking?

1 Like

I would try and start your day off focusing on little things that make you happy and doing them up until it’s time to go visit with him.

It can be anything, but being mindful while you’re doing them can help calm your mind. Like, for instance, while you’re showering, focus on the bubbles in your hair, the scent of your body wash, the sound of the water, the warmth of the steam… Being mindful helps to keep you in the present moment and not think too much about pestering thoughts.

Also, if I find my mind starting to become fogged with anxiety, I try to talk myself out of it and remind myself that it is, in fact, only inside my head. I know it can be hard, but I distract myself by giving myself positive affirmations and also thinking about all of the good that will come from the upcoming event. So instead of putting all of my energy into thinking of all the things that could go wrong, I have been working to rewire the way I think by imagining all of the possible fun and happy scenarios. :innocent:

I hope this helped, even a tiny bit! Anxiety is no fun. But I’ll send some positive energy your way and reassure you that you’ll have a great time and it’ll be so nice to see him after so long. :two_hearts:

1 Like

This was me when I drank. I would predrink social setting or possible intimate settings. I dont really have an answer as I’m only 8 days sober but your post made me think. I think having clear expectations of the evening and letting your boyfriend know as well will qualm any confusion or grey areas. I called one of my failed relationships(while drinking) and apologized for my actions and explained my new me. She was very appreciative and even later sent me a message that said she was willing to meet, just to talk and be a support with no other agenda other than that.

I think simply telling him that you’re experiencing anxiety can take the edge off

I don’t know where you are, but here in England we don’t have a date for when households can officially mix again.

Just offering a gentle reminder that what you are experiencing at the moment could be part of your anxiety, worrying about a situation that may or may not happen. Really, the worst case scenario is that your first day together won’t be perfect. There will be other days. Or it might be amazing, like you say you guys have a great time together.

Try and focus on what’s in front of you, today, and deal with that. One day at a time is just as helpful with mental health as it is with sobriety :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dialectical thinking…not pure emotion not strict rationale but in the between, the wise mind. What gets me thru is know that gratitude and anxiety CANNOT occupy the mind at the same time. Two different parts of the brain. Change perspective leads to changed moods/feelings equallying new reality