How can I recognise is someone is a legit person and not a fraud, acting like someone else to get some benefits using manipulation tactics?

How can I recognise is someone is a legit person and not a fraud, acting like someone else to get some benefits using manipulation tactics?

I’m e-mailing with someone, who addresses as a girl from Ukraine, living currently in Russia.

How can I check, if she’s a legit, real person and not a fraud?

I don’t know, and I don’t know who would know best. There are websites, however, like Stack Exchange and Quora that are good for getting high quality answers to questions like this.

2 Likes

Get “her” to go on webcam with you and ask her to hold up two fingers or do the OK :ok_hand:sign for example at the same time as sticking her tounge out. They may be able to pull pictures or fake a webcam session but not live video stream with weird requests

This has happened to me before and I’ve been catfished so always really wary now.

1 Like

And why are you emailing? That’s dodgy in itself. Surely most people chat on WhatsApp or Facebook etc…

1 Like

Put one of her pictures through a reverse image search such as tineye.
It will show you if her pictures come off the web or who the actual person in the pictures are.
Also, ask to face time.

Don’t send money. If she asks. Block and move on.

4 Likes

I don’t know… That’s why I don’t DM, email, social media, text etc… I almost failed there horribly once in many ways… For me it’s a lot like drugs and alcohol so I quit a year ago this April… I pretty much just say what I need to publicly and pray for the best… It don’t always work out too great though lol… :joy: But I’m still here and I’m still trying… Hope you figure it out… Holding a dated sheet of paper in pic could be an option (idk)… :blush:

3 Likes

Ok, so I’m from the Jurassic period, but this is why I don’t do that sort of thing.
If you can’t be open and up front with me then you don’t get time in my life.
I mean this is how children get groomed isn’t it. People " pretend" to be what they are not to prey on the vulnerable. In my book your opening yourself up to a whole lot of hurt.
But that’s just me YMMV as they say.

9 Likes

What is YMMV, and who says it? :sweat_smile::joy:

2 Likes

Your milage may vary. It seems quite a popular way of saying this is my theory. Take it or leave it! :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I was trying to figure that out too LOL :joy:

1 Like

You need a first name, surname, age/d.o.b and the place they live.

This is pretty much all you need to find out anything you want to know about someone online.

2 Likes

Ahhh! WNHGT :joy:

Thank you :rofl:

1 Like

Ok my turn ???

1 Like

Not surprised. I made it up. :rofl:

Would Never Have Got That

:crazy_face:

3 Likes

adefd256bab7830bab3108afc56629dad7c6736fc25a3cc71ae65d5e0b2dcd9b.0

11 Likes

Spoil sport, or a very wise man? :thinking:

… I could have carried on for at least an hour. :crazy_face:

I would start a ‘Silly Thread’, but no one would join in :grimacing:

4 Likes

I’d join you Cate, you know I would!

4 Likes

2 Likes

Video chat with her, obviously. If shes real that wouldnt be a problem. If she has ANY excuse why she can’t do that then stop wasting your time. Since you’re asking such delightful questions I feel compelled to bless you with my psychic abilities.

She will confess her deep desire to be with you and the only problem will be that she needs you to send her money so she can “buy a plane ticket” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

I used tinyeye, none of the pictures I got from her got found there, so I guess it’s a good sign.

I’ll keep You all updated on how’s the situation going.
Thanks for Your help :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes