How can you do it?

Hello everybody. I’m 15 days sober now and im feeling good. I’ve been able to reach 2 months sobriety twice but I couldn’t take it any more time.
My question is overall for all those people who are years away from alcohol and maintain themselves sober. How do you do it? Doesn’t appear the idea of drinking maybe on a wedding? Won’t it appear and intensify maybe when we get old? I know this is a fight for life and I’m aware of that. Right now I try to go day by day, step by step. But I really can’t see the day to be like 3 years in sobriety, it sounds too much for me.
How are you capable of that strength?
Thank you buddies

7 Likes

congrats on 15 days, that’s great. addiction took the living out of my life, i was in a terrible state. and now that i’ve got my life back i pray i never let it go again. drinking/drugging doesn’t seem attractive to me at all. i’m finally comfortable in my own skin and continually working to improve. it can certainly seem daunting in the early stages, but i’d encourage you not to focus much on down the road, just worry about staying clean and sober today and creating a life for yourself you don’t wanna fuck up with using/drinking and the bullshit it brings : )

12 Likes

I was the same way for a lot of years. Staying sober for one whole day was an impossibility for me for so long! I was miserable, lonely, depressed, isolated and hopeless. Finally I started to figure out that I was hiding from my feelings and mainly using alcohol to do it. Alcohol wasn’t my problem, it was my solution to a deeper, more spiritual issue. I started facing my fears and my feelings. Worked through them with help from others that had recovered also. It’s been almost 13 months now and I don’t crave alcohol at all anymore. Once in a while it crosses my mind, but not enough to take a drink. I Don’t feel like a slave to it anymore, and I don’t ever want to go back to feeling that way.

12 Likes

You need to not think about the future…the wedding…the milestones …etc. The only thing you need to do is focus on today. And tomorrow you’ll wake up and focus on today all over again.

ONE DAY AT A TIME.

And then one day you’ll look back and realize it wasn’t so hard.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

12 Likes

One day at a time. When I wake up, I make a commitment to myself that I wont drink that day, other days perhaps, but just not that day. That way, you don’t have to worry about any other day. One day at a time.

5 Likes

Great post, I have exact same thoughts. I’m 5 days sober and dreaded this weekend, but I woke up this morning and told myself I will not reset on day 6. I’ve made a list of stuff to do that will keep me busy all day and I’ve told myself i will wake up tomorrow hangover free.

6 Likes

Hi,first and foremost,take a breath and try not to look at the bigger picture,just concentrate on getting to bedtime without drinking,it’s also a great idea to have outside community support like any abstinence based group,there’s so many out there if your not doing this yet I advise that would be your next step,if you go to your local drug and alcohol support service they can point you in the right direction,as addicts learning how to live clean we need in the early days for sure to have support in every corner of our lives alone the chances of failure are very high alone our thinking will get us into trouble,alone we only have our inner voice to answer too and sometimes that inner voice is our addict voice I hope that makes sense .just keep staying sober I get it about 2 months in your addict brain will have you thinking yeah I’ve done it in ok now I’ve done 2 months I haven’t really got much of an issue maybe it was all in my head hahahaha! That again us your addict inner voice trying to take away that hard work you put in.keep doing what your doing,and have them tools n backup plans for when you have events and occasion when alcohol will be precent.remember be gentle with yourself and get outside support I love this app it’s changed my life butttttt I feel we need proper human interaction in recovery.

3 Likes

So grateful for this post . Have read all the replies and they have helped me. I have given up alcohol several times for 2 months and relapsed. Last year I gave up for four months ( mainly with the help of this group)and was really happy. I found myself in a really stressful situation last October and kidded myself I could drink in moderation . I drank a bottle and a half of wine in record time and my four months was gone! I felt so miserable the next day but took the “ fuck it , I’ve blown it now” attitude and drank most days until NewYear. I am on day 25 again and feeling good but I also worry about the future. However, I am hoping that I can learn from my past. I have written down my feelings of that day in October ,when I woke up with a hangover , how miserable I felt at failing and I keep looking at it when I am tempted. I think the main thing is what others have said, it has to be one day at a time. Looking ahead freaks me out too much. I am also seeking out a local support group because for me it’s really important to talk to people face to face ( as much as I love this group!) Best of luck with your journey.

5 Likes

As people have said it’s one day at a time.
Saying that though, I know I’m not gonna drink again, no matter what is going on. Why?
Because I don’t drink.
If you just keep going one day at a time you will find as you go through it will get better.
The more life events you do sober the stronger you become. You realise that you can have fun without drinking and wonder why you didn’t do it earlier.
That’s how it’s been for me. Though I don’t get hung up on that.
I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be in life and I take each day as it comes.

9 Likes

If doing the steps? Just want to highlight that it is a “WE” programme and not an “I” programme.
Fellowship is key to recovery and surrounding yourself with like minded people. Sharing your story and improving on your story helps to heal and, as I understand. Addicts/alcoholics are always trying to light our endorphins to the next level and can never settle. Recovery life can look boring to many but it is in fact the total opposite and we need to slow down.
To appreciate the sun and the random smiles, instead of looking for extreme rush. Stability is what we achieve in recovery but it is something we lacked and dont understand. We say we want it but when we get it we question it :joy:.

Stay in the middle!! You got this!!

4 Likes

Maybe try a meeting meet new sober friends who like you never thought it possible to stay long term sober ADAAT and the days mount up wish you well

1 Like

Hi Vicky; I have reset about 4 or 5 times and that thought sort of kept me from committing to staying sober. Hearing the “one day at a time” over and over I hardly even thought of it truly, but once I did, and like everyone has said before, just go to bed tonight sober. The future is out of our hands. Today only, I will not drink!

6 Likes

First off congrats!! Second, take it day by day with a serenity prayer first thing in the morning. You can do it just trust the process💯

It gets really easy. Dont worry about the future just today.

I think I need to know that it’ll get easier in the future to get strength now in the present to carry on with sobriety.

1 Like

Stop thinking, Stop needing. No one could possibly live a happy life in the knowledge that they are never going to do something again. it’s too much to comprehend. NOW is the only thing that is important. If we are not drinking or using NOW then we are doing what we set out to achieve. If I want to go and get pissed later then I can but I choose not to right now.

1 Like