How do I decide on meetings?

I’ve been struggling quite severely this past year with my alcohol addiction. It’s ruining me and my marriage.

I’ve decided I need to really try this time. How do I know if meetings are for me? Do they really help? I’m agnostic… what’s up with that side of things?

Ugh.

2 Likes

The best thing to do is to go and try it. If the first one you go to is not a good fit then try another one. And another and another. Sometimes it’s the format that doesn’t work for you, sometimes it is the members.

In my personal opinion…I prefer Speaker meetings. There is less interaction which is perfect for an introvert like me but I learn so much from others’ experiences.

As for agnosticism…I have only found one person at my meetings that openly says he believes in God but he’s made it clear he doesn’t expect others to believe. There may be other believers but they keep it to themselves. Yes, there will be lots of mention of God and we do pray but it doesn’t have to be THAT God. It is very clear in the program that it is “God as you understand”. Don’t worry about the word so much.

2 Likes

Yes! I have been to hundreds upon hundreds of meetings and I have never heard the name Jesus. Or Zeus. Or Allah. Or Buddha.
I have never heard anyone say any specific God. And I have never said a name of mine. Because it doesn’t flippin matter!! Their God or not god is none of my fcking business. And mine is none of theirs. Just the way it should be :wink:

I like what you said about speaker meets. They are a great meeting for new people.

4 Likes

I go to women only meetings and find them so welcoming. There’s times I just sit and listen and others when I share all depending on my mood. I say go to a few different types of meetings and see what you like or don’t like.

3 Likes

Meetings are for anyone who has a drink problem and wants to stop drinking , dont worry about the god thing put your ass on a chair and they will make it easier to stay sober worked for me wish you well

3 Likes

Just keep trying different meetings until you find a group you like then ask a few of them what other meetings they go to. Youll find some where you relate and they help a ton. I couldnt stay sober without them.
As far as agnositcism you are only asked to find a God of your own understanding. Reading the Big Book and the chapter to the agnostic and the appendix The Spiritual Experience should help. I have never been to a meeting that was anything like church or a bible study. What worked for me at first was just to accept that I knew 2 things about God. 1. There is one and 2. im not him. Early in sobriety my higher power was simply AA and the tables. Step 2 Came to believe in a power greater than myself. That power grester than myself was nothing more than a table of alcoholivs who knew more about living sober than I did.
I hope it helps. Get to a meeting and keep going. You are not alone.

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess there are meeting like that in places. The 4th tradition says something like… every AA group is autonomous except in matters that affect AA as a whole.
So if that specific group/meeting decides they are a Christian meeting then that’s what they are.
I would prolly go to a different meeting. And I’m Christian! Lol. I get my church at church. I get my A.A. at A.A.

3 Likes

Like others have said, best way to find out is to go check out some meetings! I mean, probably the most you’ve got to lose is the hour you spend there.

And at best you could find a great group of folks what can help you stay sober!

The very first group I went to were a pretty light-hearted bunch with lots of sobriety. Dunno where I’d be today without them.

1 Like

I went to the nearest meeting because it was winter and I had to walk everywhere. It’s still my home group to this day.

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone I’m going to one tomorrow after work. We will see how it goes. I just think the support would be nice to have.

I have very little self control when it comes to the drinking.

3 Likes

I’ve been to thousands of meetings. Pretty much, if you’re an alcoholic, that’s what the secret handshake is. You can be agnostic, atheist, fundamental Christian, Buddhist, Wiccan, materialist, whatever. The program works for alcoholics who want help and reach out for it. My first higher power was the Department of Corrections. They told me where to go and what to do. They had my best interest at heart, in the end. And the penalties for failure to abide were steep.

Today I know I am just like everyone else, human with divine roots. And today I am a recovered alcoholic.

4 Likes

Update!
Went to a meeting tonight. I liked it. I’m going back tomorrow for more!! Day 1 has been okay. Withdrawal isn’t too bad, something I always dread and fear.

Thanks for the support!!

2 Likes

So pleased your going again x xxx well done x

1 Like