How do people distract themselves from drinking in the winter?

I hate the winter. It’s cold. I spent nearly all my time indoors if I am not working. I find being inside alot increases my depression and in return I want to drink to kill my boredom. What do you guys do to help when you feel cabin fever?

1 Like

Oh lord… I live in a cabin… :joy::joy::joy: Winter is so hard… Cold, depressing, gloomy etc… I’ve been bundling up and going outside anyway… I crave :sun_with_face:… Music helps me a lot too!!! :blush:

1 Like

Wouldn’t drinking something like hot tea, coffee or chocolate work?

3 Likes

Distractions aren’t the answer. Focused goals and working towards them is. Start building a sober toolkit and use it.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

12 Likes

That kind of works but not really lol I need alot of distraction and to keel busy. I can sip on hot tea but all I think is beer would be better lol. Ahhh ill survive lol

1 Like

How do you start a sober tool kit

1 Like

I’m the opposite. Hot and sunny was a trigger for me.

Nowadays I haven’t been triggered once as the compulsion to drink has left me.

Gym is always a good thing to keep the mind and body active ??

5 Likes

Find something to work towards. Maybe a online course of some sort. Reading books and listening to music has always been my go to even when I was drinking so I’ve had to change my mindset. It takes time, and it can be hard.
Ultimately you have to ignore the desire for drink.
Have a cup of tea instead. I found usually just the act of getting up and making the tea distracted the moment.

2 Likes

I have always been prone to winter blues, or Seasonal Affective disorder. Keeping a strict sleep schedule, exercise, diet, vitamins (especially D and C), listening to positive podcasts, sitting in a sunny window with a good book, or making sure I get some sunshine, even on the coldest days. If this doesn’t work, you can get a light box that simulates natural sun.

3 Likes

I am going out with my daughter to visit some family! I figured why not start repairing some relationships that got the back burner due to my alcoholism. #positivechanges

2 Likes

I went to AA, got a sponsor and work the steps. The easiest way to deal with cravings is reducing them altogether. Through AA and a higher power I haven’t a craving in quite a while.

1 Like

What are things you think might help you in times of stress. My tool kit has a letter I wrote to myself, a few mantras and prayers, printed articles about alcohol and alcoholism, crystals/worry stones… Just anything I can pull out and read or hold or whatever when I was feeling overwhelmed.

Every tool kit is different.

2 Likes

Be careful here. Be gentle. If the relationships were truly damaged by your drinking they won’t be easy to repair. If you get some push back don’t take that as a reason to give up and drink. Go slow. Like the tortoise, slow and steady wins the race.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

2 Likes

The only damage that happened was not spending time with anyone because all my focus was on drinking. I neglected family and friends because I just wanted to be alone to drink

1 Like

I have stones myself. Hematite grounds me. I’m going to start getting more into meditation. Thank you

1 Like

I think you will be so happy in doing that… :blush: Mama/daughter time is hard to beat in the line of building happiness… I hope that you have an awesome day!!! :blush::100:

Almost 2 years here. Crazy as it sounds, coffee. Especially at work. If my guys see me walking the floor with coffee they know something/someone pissed me off and it was starting some strong cravings. At home? Just stay busy. Always something to clean.

2 Likes

That is fantastic. You can feel that you have a good outlook on this. Keep us updated on your progress.

1 Like

I’ve been working out, crotcheting and baking all winter; basically just opening myself up to new hobbies.
Trying to keep myself invested in something I enjoy.
I am so ready for spring though.
I need the suns healing.
It’s so close…

1 Like

Oh, another thing I have in my tool kit (thought not LITERALLY in my tool kit, but it is a tool I use) is podcasts.

I listen to Recovery Elevator. Some of it is really good information. Some of it not so much (clearly trying to be scientific when he really doesn’t understand science) but that’s okay. He’s just a guy trying to stay sober and gathering as much information as he possibly can. Give it a listen.

Another one was Recovery Radio with Russell Brand. There weren’t a lot of episodes but they are VERY good. I learned the most listening to those ones.

I might also recommend a book. Drink: The Intimate Relationship Between Women and Alcohol. It is part research and part memoire. VERY educational.

Give them a go.

YOU CAN DO IT!

3 Likes