How do you create the desire to stop?

Hello beautiful people. I was on here a while back, then uninstalled the app, then just installed it again. I drink a lot to blur out the stress in my day. While I recognize this is not the most productive way to reduce stress, and I objectively realize alcohol is not actually helping me, I don’t really truly have a desire to stop. My habits are unhealthy, and I know that, but that knowledge hasn’t been enough to truly get me to want to quit. I feel like if I truly actually wanted to quit, then I could. But here I am, asking for your help.

How can I create a real and sincere desire in myself to quit? I don’t want something truly bad to happen or to hit rock bottom. How can I get myself the desire before I get to that point?

8 Likes

When I was in my early 30s, i knew I had a problem with alcohol. I drank a lot and I drank often. I didn’t really want to quit tho. I wasn’t really seeing the negative effects, and when I did, it was just a fluke, right? At the time, it all seemed like upside.

It wasn’t until I turned 40 that I was ready to really give it up. It became more than a habit, it bacame an addiction. I didn’t really hit rock bottom, yeah some things happened due to my drinking, but it wasn’t THAT bad, right?

So, I guess for me, I was tired of either being drunk or hungover. That was my reality, one or the other. I wanted it to end.

I think the desire to quit comes when you’re done. So the question is, are you done?

I would suggest quitting for 30 days. If at the end of the 30 days, if you love it, quit for 31 days. Etc. However, if you’re hating it, quit quiiting and comeback when you’re ready.

8 Likes

For me the desire to stop wasn’t enough. I needed a program. AA has been that program. 3 and a bit years clean here.

9 Likes

My desire to stop came from pure brokenness and the knowledge my alcoholism was going to ruin my life if not kill me. I had a few people in recovery say to me “what makes you different” because 90% of those that came into recovery around my time relapsed and I did not. I believe it was the repetitive rock bottoms that motivated me in conjunction with truely wanting a better life and to be a better person. So glad I made that choice

4 Likes

If you haven’t done so already, it would be a great idea to read Allen Carr’s

The Easy Way to Control Alcohol

and Annie Grace’s

This Naked Mind

5 Likes

I asked this question too. And all I can say is that I wish I had stopped when I asked it and not after the not wanting something bad to happen, did.

4 Likes

Set a goal like 30 days. See if you can do it. See if you like it. Give it a shot. What do you have to lose?

2 Likes

The books suggested above are great motivation. So worth the read and can hopefully create that spark you are wanting.

Read those books. Stay on this app and participate in these conversations. Read other peoples stories. Listen to sober podcasts. If you have sober friends, hang out with them and maybe you will learn something. Find something different to do when you get home. Instead of drinking alcohol to ease your stress, try a relaxing tea blend or flavored sparkling water. Maybe you need a hobby?

Try 30 days sober and go from there. If you liked 30 days sober…instead of celebrating with a drink, celebrate with a new experience. Go to a concert, go for a hike, take a painting class, cook a new recipe you have never tried, go try a new restaurant with someone who will stay sober with you instead of pressuring you to get a glass of wine or whatever it is you liked in the past.

Instead of saying ‘I can’t drink’ say ‘i don’t drink.’

Cry it out. Face your feelings.

I hope there is some kind of suggestion in here that helps because you do not want to hit rock bottom. It feels terrible and you usually end up hurting someone else other than just yourself and that feels even worse. Coming from experience. I hope you can find your motivation :pray: Don’t give up!

5 Likes

My lows were never so low that I “had” to stop. I only went to jail that one time. It was only after I gave alcohol up that I could see what I was missing by being drunk a few times a week.

Now I never have a hangover day that is full of anxiety. I never have to send an apology text for acting like a fool or scaring my friends with my consumption.

Only you know when you are ready. I took 7,000 online quizzes to find out if I was an alcoholic even though deep down I knew my answer. Try a few days to see how you feel. We’ll be here if you need us.

3 Likes

Hi…I am there now…ready and in Day 3…have so much to change for and so much to loose if I continue…I want to change for me…and live heali…I have major stress…and need a n outlet that I like…want to be clear minded and energetic for life again,any advice please

3 Likes

I have 1 day without weed and a few days without a drink. Be4 that I had almost 6 months without anything.

I have relapsed a billion times but I found a lot more comfort while sober. Being clear headed is always better

My advice is to keep coming back even if you relapse.

The reason I relapsed is because I always think getting high or drunk will be fun and unwinding or even worth it.
It never is

Addiction will take and take and take

Good luck angel3 :innocent:

5 Likes

Is that you matt? It’s so good to hear from you.

1 Like

Heyy kev
I haven’t posted much because I’ve been extremely busy with work then I quit my job. I know quitting is on me but it’s eye opening I got exosted right after I started smoking weed. I went almost 6 months without any mind altering substances then I picked up weed and lost all motivation
Weed is powerful and I think if more people understood that, it would be more acceptable to say I dony like weed. It’s hard to explained I’ve experienced negativity from my old friends for quitting.

Now it’s just me and my wife
My wife knows I have issues with substances and suports me amazingly

So within a week of smoking weed my life came close to spiraling down

3 Likes

I’m going to do what worked the last time when I had 6 months which is
Say no
Don’t pick up
Talking sober
Living life to the fullest

One day at a time

3 Likes

@Lorelai

Communication and commitment
That’s extemly important especially right now

2 Likes

Maybe try ameeting might help wish you well

2 Likes

Read some books about soberiety to get inspiration.

You are deep in the well and it seems ok down there but when you look back you’ll wonder why you wasted your time and energy down there.

Pay attention to how your body feels… Tried? bad guts? Bad mood? Out of shape? Puffy face? Lazy? Headache? Yeah… It doesn’t have to be that way.

1 Like

Well, day one is in the books. I ordered a book to read. I went to a SMART recovery meeting that was not right for me, will have to keep looking. AA doesn’t really appeal to me but I bet there is something in town.

3 Likes

Do you know what is good for you, or what is in your comfort zone? There is plenty to disagree with in any structured program of recovery. In AA, at least in AA I’ve been exposed to, there are many paths that we travel together in the same direction, toward sobriety.

This might help you if the problem with AA is “god”. https://www.aa.org/sites/default/files/literature/assets/p-84_manypathstospirituality.pdf

2 Likes

I knew I was drinking way to much. Pre covid I mostly drank Friday to Sunday. Sunday only if something fun was going on. Covid hit and business completely stopped. I was able to relax by the pool 24/7 and drink. Fast forward three years and I knew drinking two handles of vodka a week at 45 wasn’t going to make me live very long.

But. I didn’t have the strength to quit until one day I woke up with an extreme stomach ache. I vomited from that for about half the day. Then I started vomiting for almost 24 hours because I didn’t have alcohol in my system. The good thing my withdrawal was so bad I had hallucinations and vomiting for close to 24 hours. When I came out of it I said Lord I’ll never drink again if you get me through this. The first week was rough. I wanted to vomit almost every day im so grateful my withdrawals were so bad it scared me so badly I never want to go through that torture ever again. Short of a court order I never see myself willingly signing up to get sober again. That’s why im still sober.

2 Likes