How do you deal with the restlessness?

The itchiness and restlessness is hard to handle. I’ve been hydrating, ate well, lifted weights, went for a short walk, had a nap. I’m trying to wind down before bed and watch TV but it’s so hard to stay still. Any advice is appreciated.

1 Like

It happens to me. I wake up and cant get back to sleep. My body cant get comfortable so laying in bed is irritating. I get up and find something to do that is not that mentally challenging. I dont want to stimulate my brain to stay awake longer. For example I’ll go to the kitchen and set my coffee maker for the next day, or ill put the dishes in the dishwasher,… things like that. If I get back in bed and still cant sleep I read.

2 Likes

Welcome @Onyxia!
I have had trouble sleeping since I was a little kid. I have often gone 2 or more days without being able to sleep.
Not drinking has helped immensely, but I didn’t drink as a kid, obviously, so it’s just part of my make-up.
I take valerian root before bed, and sometimes chamomile tea. I also occasionally listen to Eckhart Tolle YouTubes. He has good things to say, but mostly that man’s voice lulls me to sleep.
:smile:

2 Likes

Welcome @Onyxia.

I heard members here share here that taking melatonin helps one to sleep better.

1 Like

This is just one of those things that happens, takes a few weeks to months for the body to get right. I’m 570+ days sober and I’ll occasionally still get nights where I cannot get comfortable to save my life.

I’d recommend staying cool to cold, with a soft fleece blanket l. If you can’t sleep, go to the couch and put the tv on and get comfy. Even on 3 hours of sleep I would be more rested feeling than 6-7 hours of drunken passing out.

I took unisom for my first week, helped to put me at ease and knock me out as well.

1 Like

For the first 90 days I walked for an hour every evening at what had been my traditional first-drink time, and listened to podcasts. I did a bunch of laundry too.

After that, I got back into martial arts. I started attending classes 5 times per week. I built a fight gymn in my garage, and practice an additional hour every day. Has done wonders for my spiritual, mental, and physical well-being.

1 Like