How do you define Alcoholism?

Hello, it’s time to stop drinking or at least moderate it a lot. I’m a little perplexe whether I should be calling me as alcoolique or not :roll_eyes:
On week days, I use to drink sometimes occasionally but not a lot since I have to work early in the morning. But problème arises on weekends on bars pubs or even with friends at home, I can’t stop drinking. On a normal weekend, I use to drink almost to blackout. So in résumé, I’m a causal drinker in weekdays and heavy drinker in weekends. Do I should qualify me as alcoholic and dependent?
What do you think, any advice?

1 Like

Only you can say your a alcoholic, but if you cant stop maybe youve got a problem , maybe try stop all together for a while see how you get on ,i went to meetings i knew i was a alcoholic wish you well

2 Likes

Good question as I have been asking myself the same thing. I have definitely had many episodes of drinking more than I should or getting out of hand. But I’ve also had times when I just have 1 or 2, or don’t do anything that bad. I do know that drinking really does nothing positive for my life and often causes me to do things I regret. I don’t know if I should label myself alcoholic, or if I have to put a label on it at all. I just know drinking was not working for me for a very long time. At least we’re here and trying to find a better way.

1 Like

J’ai l’impression que vous parlez le français… si oui, la définition que vous cherchez, il me semble, c’est qui si vous croyez que c’est trop, même une fois, alors c’est trop et il serait temps de mettre en place des changements de comportement.
Et si c’est le cas, nous sommes tous ici pour nous entraider…

2 Likes

I’ve asked myself this question many times as I wouldn’t drink so much during the week. But come Friday and Saturday night I’d be on two bottles of wine and a half litre of gin if I stayed in! More if out and then Sunday’s I’d get through 4-8 beers and two bottles of wine. Problem was that Monday and Tuesday I’d be hungover and was so tired from the lack of sleep that I felt like a zombie most the day. By the tome I felt “normal” on Thursday I’d be ready to get back on it again. The worst part was when I started having blackouts and not remembering parts of the evening. That’s when I knew I had to get a grip on what I was doing.

I have been asking myself the same thing. I read in a book recently…

Don’t ask yourself if you are an alcoholic

Ask yourself if alcohol is having a negative impact on your life or stopping you reaching your full potential.

For me this was YES! I don’t like the term Alcoholic as it is like calling a non smoker a Smokerholic (read that somewhere too).

2 Likes

That’s really interesting. I have been reading about how different people who abuse alcohol all have different ‘rules’ initially that we don’t break. For example we might not drink in the week, in the morning, binge drink etc. But, we have some of the warning signs and feel bad about our drinking.

I never drank in the morning or when I was working, so didn’t think it was a problem. This is very dangerous thinking for me.

I had the same thoughts. I can’t be an alcoholic because I don’t drink in the morning and I still function…as in I work full time etc. I did however, plan my weekend around alcohol and when I could drink. I never gave it much thought before but now my attitude is beginning to change and I realise how much it ruled my life.

3 Likes

I scored 19 on the test.

1 Like

I completely understand. Reading a lot of books right now and some of the most interesting insights I have had are these.

It isn’t so much about… Am I an alcoholic? Or labelling yourself, this can apply blame. Mostly everyone who drinks is in some way on a slippery slope (or pitcher plant, as described in Allen Carr’s book) it is just that we have reached a point where it no longer serves us and is harming us to the point of change.

I also thought it was interesting when I read: quitting alcohol removes the decision of whether I am going to drink or not. It also stops the need for controlling it every day. For example, saying to yourself, I am going to drink only on weekends, 3 glasses, drink water in between etc. So by just stopping you remove this time/ energy consuming process every day.

I would love to hear your insights.

3 Likes

I’ve been diagnosed as having substance use disorder, to wit: opiates, cocaine and alcohol.

1 Like

That’s how I felt too, I scored 19 on the test also. Until i got here, I really didnt realize how big of a problem it was in my life. Spending the last 6 months sober has changed everything for me and I wouldn’t change a single thing! Edit: 7 months, haha missed that milestone apparently by just counting the days lol

5 Likes

Ohh! Thanks for all these replys! Until now, I’ve never considered as alcoholic since I never needed a need to drink on a typical night when I’m alone or in the morning. But it becomes harder and harder to plan my weekend without alcohol. It is affecting my personal relationship with my girlfriend, my job , finance etc… Yes on some I lay on bed while day due to hangover so wasting precious time :disappointed_relieved:
Well I got 22 in that test. I think I should self control my drinking habits but I don’t how. I don’t what to be alone saying that if I go out, I’ll be drinking :confused:
Effectivement je trouve que ma vie est trop gouverné par cette boisson et c’est trop…surtout à cause de cette boisson change mon comportement considérablement. Enfin je ne suis pas du tout agressif mais trop amour qui aime tout le monde. Par conséquence ma relation avec ma copine est un peu tendu…

1 Like

I haven’t read Carr’s book but I intend to after I have finished The Naked Mind.

You’re right. Quitting alcohol certainly takes all the decision making away. I found myself organising my free time around when I could drink. And thinking that if I have one bottle one day it means I can have two the next! It’s crazy to think that I thought that was normal for so longer. Although I’m no one to say what is normal and what isn’t but for me I don’t want it to be the “norm”.

Although I have no intention of drinking for the foreseeable future. I can’t say I won’t drink forever as that seems to big a task. However, the benefits I have saw in myself already makes me more determined to stay away.

I had a wine subscription that I paid into each month and I kept it “just in case” I wanted to “treat” myself at Christmas. I cancelled it yesterday. And you know what…I felt good doing it!

2 Likes

Not good :cry:

1 Like

If drinking is interfering with living your life, you are abusing alcohol. If living your life is interfering with your drinking, you are an alcoholic.

At least that’s how I define it. Your mileage may vary.

3 Likes

I’ll say it is interfering :sleepy: I’ll be able to controle the addiction :crossed_fingers:

Something I asked myself that may help you is this: What good does drinking bring you?

I had not ONE single honest answer but I had a TON that went in the opposite direction. That’s when I realized this is it and it may not be today but if I pick back up, it will take everything I have from me. I’m not interested in playing with fire anymore, I had not a single good reason to ever try to moderate again.

4 Likes

So true, over the summer, my son used to ask me to take him to the park, I would say not right now, so that I could drink in the garage. That makes me feel bad now. I take him to the park everyday now when he gets home from school.

3 Likes

If you are letting the booze lead your life, welcome to Alcoholism.

1 Like