How do you guys handle change now

Hello my name is Alexandria and im 2 years clean and im working at my job and a new position is opening up and i was thinking about taking up on the offer but being an addict im also kinda scared i would mess it up and was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem?

6 Likes

Challenges make us stronger, I feel. I also feel this position is meant for you. Apply and if you get it, run with it. If not, other things will develop or you still have your current.
Best wishes & hugs! Glad you’re here and kick ass on your 2 +.

Congratulations on 2 years being clean and sober! If u think ud be a good fit for the position, than go for it! Ur life im sure is soo much diff now than it was 2 years ago. Yes ur an addict (as am i), but we are recovering addicts! Things are different now! New opportunities for growth and wr handle things differently now. I i think we as addicts in the problem, screw things up so often and so badly, that we carry that fear into recovery. Worrying that we will continue to do that. But I think u may really surprise urself on this position :slight_smile: i say give it a go!

1 Like

Welcome to TS. I am about to start a new job in a week. I’ve been changing jobs since I quit drinking almost 4 years ago. I recently moved. I am going through some tough time tbh. Still, it’s nothing that would change my mind being sober. I need to be honest. Not neglecting feelings or uprising thoughts. They come and go. I need to be vigilant but don’t want to use my sobriety to not make changes that need to be done.
It sure will be challenging a new job. But you had other challenges already in the last 2 years, didn’t you? For me it’s mostly the unknown that I fear.

2 Likes

Hi there! I’m 18 months sober and i had to quit my job then to get sober. I returned to a job paying half but with no stress. Love my life. I think it’s good to ask these questions. That’s a gift of being sober.

1 Like

One of the blessings of sobriety is being able to take on things we couldn’t when addicted. I blamed being “too busy and stressed” for my drinking. I do way more now, and comfortably, because I have energy and clarity. Don’t convince yourself out if things. :muscle:

2 Likes

It’s important to trust your instincts and allow yourself to take the next steps in life.

For example, I left one company for another. Upon taking the job I was giving a sign on bonus and my largest salary to date. Sadly, after two months I resigned. While, a failure in certain terms, I hold my head high knowing I did my best. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking the next step. Sometimes we succeed sometimes we fail, but what’s important is what we learn along the way.
Coddling yourself will get you nowhere.
Take chances and enjoy life.

1 Like