How do you manage medication concerns as a sober person?

Hi everyone. I’m almost five years sober and over the past couple years I have started handling all my medical concerns that I ignored my whole life. A few months ago I was prescribed a drug that has the potential for abuse. It is not similar to any drug I had a substance abuse problem with and so far I have not had any concern that I am abusing the drug (I never take more than prescribed, I’m not trying to manipulate my drs, etc), but I’m still having a really difficult time reaching a mental consensus on what the difference is between being dependent on medication vs being dependent on an abused substance. I still hate the idea of having a drug dependencacy, even if it is condoned by a doctor. I find that if I stop taking my prescription I feel terrible. Part of me associates this with addiction, but the other part of me thinks that if I have a medical need for a drug then of course I’m going to feel better on it than off it and that’s just how medication works. Has anyone else struggled to find their line here?

4 Likes

Congratulations on 5 whole years! Thats incredible work!
I personally could not be prescribed any medication that has a potential to be abused. Even tho my drug addiction never really stemmed from pills, just bcuz i am an addict, it doesnt matter what the substance is. If it makes me feel a certain way and has the potential to be misused, i stay far away from it. But thats just me. I have to be honest with my drs. I dont have to necessarily tell them that I am a recovering addict but I always have told them in the past that I dont want to take a narcotic medication etc. Some people tho do need this type of medication and if it is prescribed by a dr and is taken as directed, I dont see an issue UNLESS that person starts having obsessive thoughts over it or begins to misuse it.
It sounds like ur fairly self aware and I feel like u know urself well enough to know when ur mind is trying to play tricks with u. We all know those thoughts that are giving us red flags to when something can be an issue. I am on a medication for my mental health and when i dont take it, i feel awful also. But when i do take it it does help me and adds to the quality of my life. Our bodies do also build up tolerance to medication so its natural i think to feel “different” when we arent on our meds. I dont contribute that to addiction. Addictive behavior is when i start thinking about taking more than prescribed or justifying my reasons for needing it (i may not actually need it for the reason prescribed but i will try to convince myself that i do, so that i can feel some sort of effect). I think it all comes down to self awareness and ur comfortability in being on the med that u are. Sorry this was sooo long winded haha

1 Like

I have bulging dics and bad back problems. I’m still currently struggling with alcoholism and former meth addict. I was recently referred to pain management doctors, but declined. I personally will not take pain meds. Or any meds with a potential of getting hooked on them. I have enough problems with alcohol.