How do you physically Wake up, and get your body moving?

I was just thinking about this and realised it could be quite useful tips, and also is love to find out what other useful tips people have to share (which I want :joy::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:).

I recently improved my waking up method and can get up earlier! If you have any of your own methods please share them because Iā€™d like to try them out.

These are my personal new-found methods for getting up and out of bed.

1. use music as an alarm, a random mix, often a good and unexpected song gives the extra push

2. get a light up alarm clock, I got a cheap one online and set it to gradually bring up the light. It seems to wake you more gently

3. put the heating on in the morning, this way it is ok getting out of bed instead of it being deathly cold

4. if so tired that you canā€™t move, just move gradually, first one finger or one toe, then hand, then foot, then arm etc! Get the blood moving then sit up. Once you are moving a little, maybe do some stretches in the bed. Itā€™s so much harder to go from lying still to full action

5. donā€™t lie there overthinking about the day or overthinking anxiety topics. Put those thoughts away for when you are more awake, for the moment just focus on getting out of the bed.

6. once you are up, drink a nice bit of water to activate your body and get everything going.

If I think if more Iā€™ll add them.

How do you get out of bed??

18 Likes

Iā€™ve never heard of this, Iā€™ll check it out on ā€œSan Amazonā€!

Oh yes! I always set the timer, otherwise itā€™s hell! :rofl:

Thanks for the thread in general, the ā€œdonā€™t overthinkā€ point is very important too! Need to work on that oneā€¦

2 Likes

I have my coffee pot set to start when my alarm goes off, so I hear it brewing when the alarm (which is birds in a forest) goes off I also hear coffee brewing and know a hot cup will be ready to pour when I get to the kitchen. I keep a routine, wake up, make the bed, go to the kitchen for coffee, and relax for a few minutes with a mug before getting going for the morning.

12 Likes

A full bladder leaves me with very little choice.

19 Likes

This has always worked for me - though I more often have found myself crawling back into bed for a little 5 minute catnap after breakfast before I leave for work

This also helpsā€¦ I will often drink a small glass of water right before bed so that it forces me to get up. I had one or two nights where I had to get up in the middle of the night before my body got used to it

Another thing that has helped me is to go to bed and choose one small thing to do right away when my alarm goes off (let the dog outside, turn on the oven, jump in the shower, go for a quick jog, etc)

3 Likes

I wish I had a chance to wake up sowly but my dog will not allow that. No matter what time I set my alarm for, he wakes me up a half hour before. He taps me with his paw. If I donā€™t respond after 3 taps, he licks my face once, if that doesnā€™t work, he puts his front paws on my belly, and shifts his weight back and forth on those 2 front legs. Thatā€™s his way of saying ā€œtake me out NOW!ā€

14 Likes

I like the ā€œdonā€™t overthinkā€ part. Wish I could. Soon as I wake up and realize I have to go to work in 8 hours, Iā€™m instantly depressed and anxious. Why? Itā€™s not like I hate my job. :man_shrugging: Only advice I can give on waking up: do not use the snooze button. Your brain enters another sleep cycle which will make it harder to wake up 15 minutes later.

4 Likes

I really like everyoneā€™s ideas for how they start their day! Iā€™m thinking of trying a few suggestions. Currently for me right now my day starts as follows:

• Wake up at 530am to hit the gym (this doesnā€™t alway happens lol but I still set my alarm)
  • If I donā€™t wake up for the gym I ALWAYS wake up for 7am
  • I get my coffee and head back to my bedroom where I sit on my bed
  • I light an aromatherapy candle and open the blinds
  • I read my Bible passage off my app and pray
  • I say my mantras that remind me that I am powerless over addiction etx
  • Then I go on TS and Facebook :slight_smile:
  • I eat breakfast (a healthy one if I can) and I do a guided meditation for 10 min
  • I also set an alarm for myself to remember to attend an online meeting at 11am

Literally this takes up quite abit of time. I enjoy doing this tho. I really feel it when I am not able to so this 1st thing. I have noticed my urges to use decrease dramatically and it helps me the best version of me for the day.

8 Likes

I have quite a unique methodā€¦. My dog Rufus seems to have a fascination with my beard and every morning at around 7am without fail - he jumps on my bed and nibbles at my beard until I get up. :man_facepalming:t4:

Whatever works right?!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::man_shrugging:t4::dog:

11 Likes

A few months ago I changed my curtains from 1 solid blackout curtain I used to block out every possible bit of light to 2 ā€œroom darkeningā€ curtains that still block a good bit of light. Now, instead of waking up in an almost totally dark room and wanting to go back to sleep, itā€™s a little brighter and my body knows itā€™s morning. And as soon as I get out of bed I open the curtains and take a minute to look outside and enjoy the view. The natural light really helps me feel awake, much more than just turning on the light in my room.

5 Likes

I get up and go straight for a walk with the dogs i will not always feel like it and almost always still feel tired as i go but it wakes me up and always feel better for the fresh air :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I used to do this but I would just snooze all million alarms and sleep in anyway!!! It was annoying because Iā€™d have just benefited more with the sleep :rofl:

I used to set a million, and then a ā€œfail safeā€ which was the last possible moment I could get up and get to work by the skin of my teeth ā€¦ It went to the fall safe pretty much every time :sweat::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I realised it was a problem!

Itā€™s easy to over think about anxiety issues and then not want to get upā€¦

Then thereā€™s the other over thinking, the ā€œplanningā€ over thinkingā€¦ So even if itā€™s decided the night before that I wanted to go out cycling in the morning, if I started over thinking while still in bed about the tasksā€¦ Get the bike, pack lunch, donā€™t forget spare inner tube, load bike into car, find helmet find everything, argh look up how to get there arghā€¦ Suddenly the task seemed annoying and big and it was easier to stay in bed!! So itā€™s not even just anxiety things nice things can be over thinking too.

4 Likes

But how do you actually get up?

How do you get up at 5:30? What is your method if you do not mind me asking?

Honestly Iā€™m still trying to work on this lmao. I wake up at 530am maybe 3 days out of the week :rofl: so itā€™s a work in progress.
For the days when I am actually able to get up I usually go to bed at 10pm. I do my best to give myself a good rest. I set my alarm for 530am. I put my phone across the room from me so I HAVE to get up to turn it off. If I had my phone by my bed, I ALWAYS just turn it off and then go back to sleep lol so once Iā€™m up and turn off my phone, I grab my workout clothes (that are already set out for me) and I walk far away from my bed as possible lol I usually go into the kitchen and get my pre-workout and then finish getting ready. Mentally tho I tell myself, "u will feel so good and so much better if u can just get to the gym). And then I workout. And I never ever regret getting up for exercise. It literally sets my whole day :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Do u think it would help to preplan? Sort of get whatever u can get ready, the night before? If I donā€™t have things set out for me like exercise equipment or gym clothes or stuff, its much harder for me to follow thru. Iā€™m wondering if u were able to get things ready, then u could sleep better also, and then be rested and ready to go for the morning :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m liking the alarm across the room idea, I might try that one out!

2 Likes

Yes itā€™s true, this is definitely an area of improvement

1 Like

It helps! It really does! It forces u to get out bedā€¦ otherwise ur forced to listen to awful beeping noises. I also pick an alarm thats annoying so that it makes me wanna turn it off. Itā€™s not the most pleasant way to wake up I guess lol but it works for me bcuz nice sounding alarms I can put up with lol
I should also say that as soon as I turn off my alarm, I also turn on my light, and grab my stuff thats prepared, and get ready. Sometimes it is soo hard to get up. But I do my bestā€¦ we arenā€™t perfect and sometimes it is good to listen to ur body when it needs abit of extra rest :slight_smile:

1 Like