How is everyone doing right now?

With all that’s going on in the world I wanted to know how everyone is doing. Is this situation driving you back towards your old habits. Maybe your resolve has been strengthened and you have found a new focus? Are you dealing with this better or worse than you expected? Or any other insights you may want to share.

6 Likes

I keep repeating the serenity prayer which gets me through most days. I’m really missing being around the new friends I’ve made in recovery. Texts and calls just aren’t the same. I am enjoying the extra time I’m having with my daughter while working from home so that’s a plus.

7 Likes

I will kick it off. I quit drinking 11 months and 11days ago.

So far people have mentioned to me how well I have been coping.

My wife is a nurse and said there is a real possibility she could bring COVID 19 back to me. Instantly I said don’t worry and that we are in this together.

I used to be a stress binge drinker. And I know for a fact I would be getting through this by downing a bottle of whiskey a night. I wondered if I would have been able to have been as supportive then…

Down side is that I have just finished a conversation with work colleagues on video chat. One person on the call was justifying keeping our office open in the lockdown because of legal obligations. It’s clear they are seeing this pandemic as their ‘time to shine’ and maybe earn a nice promotion out if it at the end. I was pissed off at the end of the call and now I am really craving a drink! There are nurses like my wife risking their lives and people are still playing their BS games.

Overall it this has challenged me in different ways than I expected.

Stay safe and stay well everyone

11 Likes

Glad to hear you are getting time with your daughter. It is a massive plus. Stay safe and thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Thank you. That’s a really thought provoking answer. Stay safe.

2 Likes

I’m struggling abit honestly. I havent been able to workout at the gym in my building for weeks now and that was my biggest form of self care. My emotions and anxiety have increased too. Need to figure out a better plan for myself during this time. I need to get things back on track.

8 Likes

Is there any on your tv? I just saw on my tv that some packages like Showtime and a few others were offering it free til April. There was one with pilates and yoga too.

2 Likes

Binge watching paranormal shows and knitting a blanket like crazy. Talk to the BF 2-3 times per day. My cat is loving us hanging out so much togerher.

5 Likes

I’m three weeks from 6 months sober & I feel much worse, both mentally & physically than before. I can’t keep this shit up much longer. What can I do besides watching boring TV all day?

3 Likes

I hear you! The gym is a massive part of dealing with my anxiety. I managed to put together a body weight routine mixed with two dumbbells I own. What type of training did you do?

2 Likes

Routine is a massive part of life. This may not be the right answer for you, but for me it is putting for rules in place. I am breaking one now which is go to bed on time… But I just can’t sleep tonight. It’s 2am where I am. I break my day up and plan activitys for each part of the day. Your list may be very different, but mine goes.

Get up
Shower
Take the dog out (one time is allowed to leave under UK lockdown rules)
Learn something new (YouTube is a great source)
Project time
Lunch time work out
Carry on with project
TV
Then bed.

I actually wrote mine down. That even killed some time.

Stay safe and well

5 Likes

I like to do a combination of cardio and weights :slight_smile: usually use the elliptical for my cardio and dumbbells/resistance bands for my weights. I used to love using the machines at the gym but my apartment gym doesnt have room for all that good stuff lol what about u?

2 Likes

Very similar to be fair, but I do skip cardio… a lot like six seven months of the year a lot… I only tend to do cardio when the weather gets nice and I am trying to get that lower body fat percentage. High weights and low reps. I am now doing circuits at home which gives me a good cardio/ weight lifting mix. My body was screaming last week so it’s doing something although I have noticed my jeans getting tighter… so more work required. Sounds like you would be a good candidate for some circuit training as you seem to be a good all-rounder.

1 Like

Well. My HUGE main addiction was /,is oxycodone. Long story short prescribed past 4/5 years I’m 24. Was up to 300-360mg a day and clonazepam.
I’m a month and 2 weeks off of oxycodone. But I got a week blister pack prescribed 3 valiums a day. Well yesterday I had one left (took to much ) and today I had one. My craving is so strong to just not feel … life? Its shit. I hope this passes soon. Man this is rough.

Also cellphone service is off. Pay as you go. Paid tuesday. Dr phones me tomorrow for talk and med refills etc. I reallllly hope I get incoming calls still tm. Ugh ugh
But somehow I saved over 6.4k!? How did I even get that money!? I’m on welfare.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community mate, I would be very careful with using the benzos (valium and clonazepam) my tolerance to benzos got so high that whenever I would take them I would also use heroin to increase the effects. Do you really need to be taking them or are they providing you with relief from cravings and are somewhat an escape as you describe? That is a massive red flag to me.
I wish you well. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It’s tough. I did a 30 day trauma and addictions stay in a residential treatment facility. All went good but as of my release March 20 the world is quarantined as are my plans to get out exercise and do hot yoga and keep my mind busy. Doing my best at home to accomplish this one day at a time. Today is day 40 sober.

1 Like

Hi. I feel that maybe now is a good time, with everything that’s going on, for me to address and hopefully use this time to break the old habits and cycles of behaviour that inevitably lead me to drinking to excess. Out of the negativity of this situation I hope I can use this time as a springboard towards some positivity.

2 Likes

Maybe try workout at home then? :innocent::muscle:

1 Like

Nothing really changed, since before.
Still trying to stick to my routines, as best as I can :slightly_smiling_face::ok_hand:

Why don’t you pay your phone bill then?