How Long Will I Last?

The last time I drank (85 days ago) I had a few drinks in a short period of time and then blacked out for the whole night and woke up the next morning wondering where it all went wrong. I would repeat this pattern every single weekend without fail and feel horrible for it the next few days but happily kept doing it to myself to the point where it didn’t become fun anymore. I’m now finding it easy going out, remembering every single little thing that happened, laughing at drunk people, not to mention feeling fresh and not hungover or getting anxious the next day and week. How long does this feeling last and will I get bored of not drinking?

2 Likes

One day at a time. I’m no expert though

1 Like

That feeling can last forever if you stay grateful. It doesnt make sense to get bored of happy great things and by being aware or grateful every song can be enjoyed as much as the First time listening thats with everything in life

4 Likes

This depends on you, and what you do to grow as a person. I don’t laugh at drunks. I pity them. They are in bondage, chained to a poison by lies. They believe alcohol makes their lives better. They believe they are funnier, smarter, more charming, more attractive when drinking. They believe the need booze to have fun and that without it, their lives are boring.

The truth is they are losing. They are less. I don’t need booze to be charming or funny. I’m more attractive sober than drunk, at least according to my wife. Every day that I don’t drink is a win and not just because I didn’t drink. Sober, I am smarter, stronger, faster. More driven. More motivated to overcome obstacles and crush the goals I’ve set for myself, and smash the expectations of others.

How long it lasts depends on me, and what I choose to do with the time I have. I didn’t come here to have a good time. I came here to win. To leave my mark. To build a legacy.

5 Likes

I am no expert, but for me, I spent 40+ years drinking…some years more, some years less. I was a very functional drunk and an extremely unhappy person by the end of my drinking career. I knew EXACTLY where drinking would take me, there are no surprises there…well, that isn’t really true…sometimes I would have a glass or 2 or 3 of wine and be ‘fine’, other times a glass would become 3 or 4 bottles and a black out after god knows what. So technically, I never knew what would happen…but in my heart of hearts I knew no matter what, drinking was and is a HUGE problem for me.

So…how long does the peace of sobriety last? For me, so far, it has lasted every day of my 800 days sober. I wake up each morning and think…holy f*** it feels good to be clear headed, not hungover, not filled with regret and not checking my phone for who knows what.

After a lifetime of waking up in various states of undress, next to who the hell knows in my younger years, with god knows what in the room and where the hell am I, and filled with anguish and regret and feeling like crap…well, it is truly amazing to be here now.

I hope I never take for granted the beautiful feeling of waking up sober again. Life changing, life affirming.

:heartpulse:

5 Likes

It’ll last as long as you see all the benefits of sobriety and all the negatives of drinking.

The wife and I were chatting about sobriety last night, and how much has changed in the last 16 months of being sober. And I’ll be damned if I could romanticize a drink while recalling all the ugliness that was my drinking, if ever there was a person who needs to be sober, its me.

Lifes not perfect, and that’s perfectly fine, cause I’m good with it now. I have serenity, something I never had while I was in my cups.

Keep trudging that road to happy destiny, the best has yet to come.

8 Likes

Amen, brother. Amen. I’m right there next to you in the “Who Needs Sobriety Club (OC)”. Never loose this humility.

2 Likes

I could have written every word. Except I have 5 days not 800. Proud of you and inspired. Thanks!

5 Likes

Five days is pretty awesome!!

2 Likes

@Laneway. This. Just keep reminding yourself of the crap that comes with drinking.
And keep working one day at a time. Don’t worry about tomorrow. If today you don’t drink, then you can feel good about yourself.

1 Like

Thanx everyone for your sightful and wise replies! I am quite young and have my whole life ahead of me and I do know I will NEVER drink to black out again but I am unsure if I will last sober forever as I do miss the Friday after work wind down glass of white or the occasional red with dinner. I am truly an all or nothing type girl and I’m finding it difficult cutting out that balance. What does everyone do with the cravings??

Fighting them. Find something else to do instead to distract yourself. As you do this more and more, you will get stronger at doing it. It will become part of you to say no and think differently.
If you are an “all or nothing girl” then how can you say you will never drink to black out again?!
Start telling yourself that you are not going to miss that “Friday night wind down” or whatever.
Getting sober is life changing, you no longer need drink. Think about other ways to “wind down”
Just this last week I have “missed” getting absolutely wasted to deal with problems. But that’s just not going to happen, because I know where it will lead!!!
If you are an “all or nothing girl” then I would seriously start thinking “all” while you’re young enough not to regret it.

5 Likes

Work thru them…take a walk, dance, garden, bicycle, make a smoothie, go for a run, doa puzzle, dance some more, get out in nature, go swimming.

You don’t need to worry about forever. Just focus on today. Today is the only day you need to focus on. Tomorrow you can work on tomorrow. Keep in the now and it makes life more manageable. Nobody is guaranteed a tomorrow.

FWIW, I was an all or nothing person too. That tends to mellow with age. Life is full of gray and loves balance.

:heart:

2 Likes