How many resets does it take to get to sanity?

I hear you. I’m here also. Today is Friday and I don’t have my son this weekend. I got drunk af Wednesday and I’m still dealing with the shame of making up a lie to work as to why I called out. If you need a shoulder, ear, whatever just reach out.

The homepage of this app gives quotes each day. Every time I reset, it says “do not focus all of your energy on getting over the past, focus your energy on building the new”. Well how about if I have no energy?..what then? Lol I had gotten to 16 days. 16 WHOLE days and I was doing everything. I just didn’t learn to deal with the emptiness and my crabby attitude made someone upset with me and I gave in to drinking all because of that and it just kept going. It sounds like meetings have helped you? This time I’m done lying to myself that I don’t need them, so I’m going.

2 Likes

Becoming an alcoholic didn’t happen over night and neither will full sobriety. It takes time, effort, and the willing to do anything to get and STAY sober. I don’t care if someone has 2 days or 20 years…we are given a daily reprieve contingent on spiritual fitness. This means that we have to quit trying to self-will ourselves through this on our own. We get dry and then we get sober and then we recover daily. Nutrition, exercise, finding a recovery support program, and enjoying life sober with a hobby or interest in your free time will save your ass. That’s the common solution formula for people that have a strong sobriety. It’s not easy at the beginning. Shitty attitudes and feeling lost and in unfamiliar territory is quite common. Being patient with yourself and taking care of your needs in a healthy manner will get you through until the changes start happening. We are literally having to rewire our brains and heal our bodies…no easy feat. If we focus on the new solution to life (happy sobriety) rather than the old solution to our problems (active addiction), life starts opening up.

2 Likes

What is the difference between dry, sober, and in recovery?

No worries. Vent away. I’m all ears. There’s a meeting tonight and I’m scared shitless to go. I kept trying to do this on my own and Thursday when I woke up realizing I blacked out I said “I need a meeting”. My anxiety is flaring.

I’ve been there. Walking into a new meeting is scary. Last night I tried to go to one and they had moved the location and not updated the website. So I almost walked into the only meeting that was going on there at that time, which was the Boy Scouts. :flushed:
I hope it goes well. I have yet to go to a meeting where I was not welcomed with open arms. Good luck!

2 Likes

Dry= not drinking
Sober= not drinking and self improving
Recovery= not drinking, self improving, working a recovery program

3 Likes

Yay thank you. I never knew what the difference was. I am definitely working towards sobriety by not drinking and towards recovery by improving myself. I went to my first meeting today. It felt great

2 Likes

Lol oh my that would have been embarrassing. I enjoyed mine this evening. I was so emotional and it was faith based so I was like overwhelmed with that feeling. I feel very good now. I am looking for one to attend tomorrow.

There are always sources of energy around, be it healthy eating, rest, meditation, exercise etc remember simple physics, energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can simply be transformed from one form to another.

Drinking is a sure way to drain any energy from your system, the healthier activities help you build up a reserve.

3 Likes

I love a science lesson in recovery :hugs:you made my morning because I just finished a cycling class.

1 Like

I’m so glad you enjoyed it. Yesterday was the first meeting I’ve ever been to where I didn’t cry. They’re HARD for me but that’s a good thing.

1 Like

Well said @Daithi!

1 Like