How old is everyone here?

I’m 37. I started drinking and smoking weed/opium at 14. Blacking out by 16. My dad offered to pay for bartending school when I was 18 and dropped out of college, but I didn’t do it bc I didn’t want to ‘become an alcoholic’! :rofl::rofl::rofl: I did most of the cocaine in my life from 18-20, and saw a lot of crazy shit go down. I had to get away bc everyone around me started smoking it and I always stuck to my boundary that crack is wack. Then I turned 21 and became a full fledged alcoholic. I knew it was problematic for a really long time. I just didn’t care. By the time I did care, it felt tenfold as hard to quit as it would’ve 10 years prior. Get out now and stay out. You’ve got the rest of your life to live :heart:

21 Likes

I’m 39.
Got married when I was 24, had my first kid when I was 18.

Used alcohol and drugs since I was around 12-13 years old.

Eventually quit the drugs for good. Alcohol is more difficult. I keep falling for that one.

15 Likes

Love the new Avatar.
Nite nite buttercup :sleeping:

4 Likes

Thank you Honey bee.
Sleep well.
I’m currently eating breakfast :blush:

4 Likes

I’m 46, biologically.

I feel like I was 25 just last week, I blinked and now I’m middle-aged, bald and fat. Of course, I spent most of those years drunk in a bar, so I feel I missed the opportunity to really live the best years of my life. If I could do it again, I be sober, but I can’t, so all I can do is salvage what’s left and live vicariously through my kids. :grin:

22 Likes

I started drinking at 14. It’s no coincidence that most people here with alcohol as their DOC started drinking early by the way. Drinking in teenage years increases the chance you will develop an addiction massively.

I tried most drugs along the way (especially in the rave scene of the late 90s) but luckily only alcohol stuck.

My father is an alcoholic and the U.K. has a ridiculous binge drinking culture so for a long time I knew I shouldn’t drink so much, but everyone else was doing it too… or so I thought. I also compensated for it when I was young by doing everything else in my life to extremes be that work, travel, exercise, you name it. So I convinced myself that it wasn’t a problem because it wasn’t holding me back. Except it was of course.

Reading so many of the stories here on TS has been so important to me. I realise now that ANYONE can become an addict and in a way we are the lucky ones who have realised it and are doing what we can to break free.

16 Likes

I’m 24, also had a dream last night that I was out at a bar with drinks and music woke up feeling weird. (Just trying to fill up the character limit)

12 Likes

43 … i wish id been so self aware at your age…infact that was around the time i was starting my descent into the drug and drink world… @john_connor1337 i must say youve been a bright light for me since you came here… i really enjoy your threads and posts and your sense of humour that keeps unfolding the longer you are sober…i look forward to reading your stuff :blush:

19 Likes

Proud of you to tackle this now Eric. It took me until I was 49 years old to quit smoking weed en tobacco. And another 5 years to realise alcohol had taken over after, and I was addicted to substances, lots of 'm. I’m 58 now and finally begun to live my life to the full. I Had (and still have) a lot of growing up to do, since I started smoking lots of weed at age 13. Stunted my development. Anyway, so happy to be in recovery now. And glad you are too!

16 Likes

I’m 40.
My story is similar to many over here. Drinking parents, started early, switched to party drugs, went back to alcohol etc.
I’m glad I’m here, sober and finally finding my true self and accepting it :blue_heart:

18 Likes

I’m 56 years old, don’t feel like it though :sweat_smile: But I guess all the older people say such a thing…

Started to drink when I was 17 in my student days. I lived on my own at very young age so I could do whatever I pleased. My drinking increased when my 10 year relationship broke down at 27 and I also got a shitty job.
I felt lonely and sorry for myself.
When I met my current partner I think I was more of a binge drinker. I could stay of the alcohol for longer periods of time. Like when I was pregnant. When my mom died my drinking increased to daily and it got out of hand.
12 years ago I decided I had enough. I was sober for 5 years, relapsed and quit again after trying to moderate my drinking for a year.
Now sober for 5,5 year and very happy with my current life! Recovery never stops, but I’ve learned so much about myself in those last 12 years! Still making steps to fill my life with more selfcare, hobbies and new people.
Sober life is not all roses and sunshine, a “normal” life isn’t all that too.
But I sure love my life today!
And I didn’t 12 years ago :disappointed_relieved:

22 Likes

Started Drinking at 17 after i got a knee injury that stopped me pursuing my prof football career stopped at 34 went to AA now 72 still sober and very happy

24 Likes

I’m 34.
First joint when I was 14/15 maybe.
First started drinking alcoholically at 16/17
Then cocaine and MDMA at 18; heroin by 21
Sober from everything at 28; relapsed on alcohol at 30 then sober again at 33.

21 Likes

I am 63 (Imagine that? Life goes fast).

I had my first drink, cigarette and joint at 15, my first line at 17…I won’t bother listing all the drugs in between. I knew I had a problem relationship with drugs/alcohol in my 20s, but I kept going (sigh, bad bad decision).

I quit cigarettes at 48, drugs at 54 and had my last drink 7 years ago at 56.

I love seeing younger people in their 20s and 30s making healthy smart decisions for themselves. It gives me hope. Of course I also love seeing those of us who spent decades living a different life choose a new way. There is so much more to life than drugs, hangovers and regret. What a gift. :gift: I love this saying…Take off that blindfold and open your eyes!! :people_hugging:

25 Likes

Just about 57 in another month.

Began drinking at 15, and always was a binge drinker. Typically 2-3 times per week last couple decades.

Just hit 3 months yesterday which I have a few times in the past couple decades, but this time feels different. I have no end goal that I am looking to make and then go back and start the celebrations again. I’m enjoying sobriety now more than I ever had before.

I always believed I was missing out on something when I didn’t drink. The truth I’ve now found out is that the lie was I was only missing out when I did drink. The thing I was missing out on was TIME. It’s short, fleeting and I cannot afford to waste it any longer.

One thing that excites me is young folks like yourself realizing earlier the issues drugs and alcohol cause and either seeking help earlier or just never heading down that path to begin with. People say the younger generation doesn’t “get it” or “understand” things. Too “immature “.
I say BS, I know a lot of young people and they are very well put together and understand the benefits of health and taking care of themselves more than most generations before them.

Good on you for finding your way here to improve yourself and work towards a more rewarding life.

23 Likes

I’ll be 39 next month :scream: Generally speaking I don’t feel almost 40 but also I have back problems which in my mind makes me old :cry:
I started with drugs early like everyone else, around 13. I was in denial that I had a problem for a long time. I picked up and dropped different drugs but alcohol always stayed. I think it took me almost a year in being sober from alcohol to look back and realize I did have a problem. In the beginning I was only quitting because my SO asked me to, well more like said I can’t watch you kill yourself so pick me or the alcohol.

I feel ya on the kid thing though. I’m kid free by choice and I can not relate to a lot of kid things. A lady I went to school with recently had a baby and she was over the moon happy, which I imagine is normal lol but I was like why is she so happy.

22 Likes

I’m 40 next year.
Feel like 20 something.
It doesn’t make it better that the nowdays teens/young adults here has gone full blown 90’s fashion.

Not that I ever dressed like that (we weren’t allowed)
But it feels like I’m back or maybe never got out of my younger years.

17 Likes

Good on ya for recognizing!

Me, 53 and a late bloomer as I drank hard for about 8 yrs from age 38-46…and avoided recognizing-admitting.

Sure, high school weed & booze when I could find it. Some other shit in my 20s but nothing stuck like the drink. 2 trips to Iraq and then had 2 boys with my ex and had to be responsible for 15 years, but once they were off & running so was I.

In a much better place thanks to AA & this group!

17 Likes

I’m 23, I’ll be 24 in May. I got to AA when I was 22 :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes
  1. I never remember not drinking. It was offered by my parents “by sips.”

I made my Dad’s cocktails from about age 7? Young. I never allowed my kids to bring me, or make me anything! Today: 98 days.

18 Likes