How to answer "why aren't you drinking?"

I always try to make light of the situation or just something simple. Something like im old, i cant handle the hangovers anymore lol. Or im allergic, i break out in handcuffs lol. Thats just me though…
You tell them details when you’re ready! No rush here! Just keep it simple, short, and sweet.

3 Likes

I thought my reasoning was solid “I’m on medication for my sprained ankle”, but apparently not, as EVERY SINGLE DAY my father-in-law tried to pressure me into drinking. He even went so far as to say I should stop taking my meds for a few days, then.

Coincidentally, I’m going to a party tonight. The hostess just informed me via test “we will be doing at least one shot (of vodka) ice-bar style.” My reply: “You will! :rofl::rofl::rofl:” Literally. She’s young. I’m a friend of her mother’s who she’s trying to surprise. When I get there with my Lemon La Croix all iced down, I will let her know I’m on antibiotics, which is true at the moment, and leave it that. Her mom and another close friend who will be there know I’ve quit drinking and why and are supportive. My friend’s daughters and their cousins who are hosting have no idea. And this is not the time for long explanations.

3 Likes

I’d be tempted to say “the pain meds work better for the pain than booze and clearly it’s stupid to have both,” @Blithe_Oddity, but that would just entertain the notion that he can goad you into it. Perhaps, the real better answer is “Because I don’t feel like it. How 'bout those Astros?”

1 Like

I had a friend who by all rights was an alcoholic like me and everytime he had a shot given to him he threw it over his shoulder as everyone drank theirs lol. Do whatever you need to.

3 Likes

Yeah. It was pretty insulting that he kept pushing it. At one point and time my husband stepped in and told him to knock it off, but he was blacked out, so the next day it just started again.

Whatevs. I’m not there anymore, and next time I’ll know this in advance so I can decide how to move forward then.

My friend is not a drinker and she just says “I don’t drink” which I’ve always admired. People ask her why not sometimes, but she says it with such confidence that usually people leave her alone. This will be harder for me to pull off since people will be like “umm yes you do!”

3 Likes

Well, I’m not going to be drinking the wine they’re plying either so fake shots aren’t going to be a thing. I’ll be drinking what I brought with me. And I’m going to be in someone’s home so I’m not going throw it everywhere. But if I’m ever in a divey bar, absolutely. Screw it. ahahahaha

1 Like

I hope tonight goes great for you. I’m guessing it will you focusing on your not drinking rather than those that are drinking it up.

Oh I’ll be fine – no one is going to shame me into drinking. Thank you!

3 Likes

I have to agree with @Yoda-Stevie on this one…we worry way too much about what others think. Everyone is different, but my struggle has always been the act of not drinking in a social environment, never explaining why I wasn’t drinking. “I don’t want to” is a perfectly acceptable response, but if for some reason that feels odd, how about, “I’m cutting back” or “taking not easy.” I flat out tell people “because I’m trying to live a healthier life so I can be around for my children.” That usually puts the ball back in their court because who is going to fault u for being healthy and caring for your family?

1 Like

I did that on vacation at the AI we frequent. We do an annual champagne toast and I have always accidentally spilled mine. :innocent:

2 Likes

Don’t they just refill your glass then?

It is all very informal, on the beach…not waitstaff, just guests with bottles.

1 Like

Almost funny that the first reason people would think is being pregnant. I had the same experience with my friends and the more I insisted to not drink the more the scenarios went crazier. My family knows but not all my friends understand. I said I was on antibiotics, I don’t think it is necessary to tell everybody my life story, at least for the early days.

1 Like

I’m gay and pretty close with my family, so would have told them if my wife and I had found a sperm donor and started trying and yet my sister still asked if I was pregnant! I was like “not unless it’s the second coming of Christ, but I haven’t had any dreams with angels talking to me yet!”

5 Likes

“I’m on medication”, while it isn’t rude to harass people about why they aren’t drinking for some reason,
It IS rude to pry about what meds you’re taking.
Except if it’s your mom. She’s will probably bug you to know what you’re taking and why.

1 Like

An answer very much appropriate to the xmas spirit
:laughing: I am single so their imagination went so wild that I just gave up explaining. There is always next time

Gotta love LaCroix!!! When my family was over for game night I filled my yeti before the arrived and played bartender most of the night and would just refill my cup with water as I made everyone else drinks! I found that during Christmas Eve and Christmas too it was better to just go get a drink before anyone asked me because I knew if my response was anything other than wine I would get weird looks.

PS- who in their right mind enjoys shots!!! They’re the worst!

1 Like

Parties are reportedly boring without me. Without me acting like a fool, without me being an idiot. I never realized how much partying people need their court jesters to be merry.

3 Likes