How to deal with Friday

How does everyone deal with Friday being a trigger? I just started a program Monday and was 5 days sober today, I had some cravings but was able to push through. We went over triggers and a relapse plan and to use distractions. I was not thinking of Friday as a trigger, I was dreading leaving work and I probably sat there in my car for a half hour. I cracked, and I told my wife. How does everyone deal with fridays? I will let my organization know.

6 Likes

Thank you for the response. I need to be able to do this.

1 Like

I posted the same today Bill…first week in, first Friday…it is just another day ending in Y. Keep our minds straight…and if we get weak…come here for support…with everyone at our back…weve got this.

1 Like

This is one of the coolest things about this app/site. It’s got great use from around the globe so it’s so true they there is pretty much somebody on posting at all times.

3 Likes

Friday/Saturday nights (sometimes day) and the day before a vacation were horrible for me the first 90 days. I always looked at alcohol as a treat or something to get excited about. Of course, it’s because it hits that part of the brain that is responsible for gratification. I would try to focus on that part of the brain and try to get excited about something I haven’t done all week/month/year that didn’t involve alcohol. That way I would get excited about THAT instead of missing out on that “alcoholic treat.” So I would say anything that you could get excited about…a movie, a phone call to an old friend, a new cooking recipe, a long awaited nature walk, etc. It depends on what will trigger your gratification for your part of the brain. It is all dependent on the person :slight_smile: I hope this helps!

Oh and now almost 300 days out, I don’t even need to do that anymore because LIFE became exciting. But that took some time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have the same trigger. End of work day, end of the week, big triggers. Focus on how much better you’ll feel Saturday morning if you don’t slip. Visualize waking up hungover or whatever the negative effects of drinking are for you. If you don’t drink, you won’t have to deal with any of that. And you’ll have more energy to enjoy your weekend. What do you need to do to get over the trigger tonight? What helps you? Distractions?

Just do something to improve yourself instead of the same old , same old drinking triggers.
Go for a walk, cook a nice meal, read a good book. Veg out with popcorn hot cocoa &a movie. Substitute your normal with Anything to get through the time in a productive way!
You got this!

hmm just another day! planning something bright and early saturday mornings is a good way to mentally prepare to relax and get some sleep tonight (fridays). hikes, early breakfast with an older relative who wont be hungover, etc. :sun_with_face:

3 Likes

Love this suggestion!!! Thank you!

1 Like