How to deal with unsupportive family members

Hello all! I’m curious as to how you guys deal with family members not supporting your journey. Now don’t get me wrong this family member normally is, but in these events which is a wedding in September they just have gotten really stubborn and unsupportive since I told them that I will only be going to the ceremony and not the reception due to alcohol and the partying environment. Family members are flying in from different areas to attend this wedding so I understand us missing out on seeing them but I have to do what’s best for me. Well, You can now cut the tension with a knife and it just makes me feel like shit and not even wanna go to the wedding all together. I just would like to know how you guys stay civil or stay unbothered because I feel like I want to explode on them…

3 Likes

Im sorry you are dealing with that drama. Do whats right for your sobriety. In my mind by going to the ceremony youre showing your love and support. They should be thankful they dont have to pay for the additional head count lol

3 Likes

Wow it sounds like they’re trying to control your actions with emotional abuse. That’s pretty passive aggressive. I would personally be even more irritated with family trying to control my behaviors. You are aware that it’s not right because your post says it all. Stick to your guns and never let anyone hurt you without your permission. No is no. Big hugs and sending you strength :hugs:

3 Likes

Congratulations on setting your boundary and sticking with it. You are the only one in charge of your sobriety and you can do anything you need to do (other than drink) to keep it intact. :blush: I would try to not deal with the unsupportive members of your family as much as you can while this situation is happening. Go to the ceremony and skip the reception like you’ve planned. If they push too hard and you think it will derail you skip the ceremony too. It is completely okay to step back a bit socially while you try out your new fantastic sober legs. Best of luck in this situation and keep going!

3 Likes

I’m so sorry your people can’t get their act together and be kind to you.

It means you really do have to look out for yourself the most. I say be present and supportive at that wedding ceremony then go do something you really enjoy while they have their drinking. Good grief.

Hang in there and find some new “family “ if you can… friends who can really support your sobriety and who you really are as a person.

Have a great day.

2 Likes

Thank you guys for your support! :heart:

1 Like

Do your family members know that your sobriety is a big deal? That this isn’t just some two week detox juice diet? Are they aware that you went to rehab (if you did) and how alcohol has totally ruined your life?

I’m new to sobriety and just about everyone I know family included treats my sobriety likes it just some minor break from my partying lifestyle. They have no idea how bad detox was and how I’m terrified to ever go through that again. Soooo, it been up to me to educate them and let them know that I’m serious.

Also, you may look like you have your shit together to people on the outside so your partying to them couldn’t be a problem. Opposed to everyone knowing you’ve been living in your car at Walmart for years. Again, just open up and tell your story that’s what’s been working for me?

Good luck!

2 Likes

She apologized this morning and we hashed it out. I did not go to rehab or go through a detox. I just quit it cold turkey. Being bruised up and braking bones and treating people like shit was enough for me. I don’t need people to understand my sobriety im doing it for myself not for anybody else. I have to do what’s best for me and that’s it. I am an open book if people are interested in the whys than I would be more than happy to tell them otherwise I don’t care to tell anyone my reasons. Thank you for your support and welcome to the community! :heart:

1 Like