How to handle boredom

Hi I’m new to the group and my issue sometimes when I was drinking was boredom! Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I would drink and it would make me happy only until I dranked too much and felt sick. I realize it was time to stop when this pass Sunday I dranked so much I couldn’t move and I was so sick the next day. I really want to stay strong and change my life and stay healthy.

2 Likes

Exercise is a big one for me to kill time and to give that same endorphin like rush that came from drinking.

What hobbies have you always enjoyed doing? When we’re actively drinking we tend to put all the things we loved doing in life on the back burner due to our addiction.

In the early days I found it important to stay busy in any way possible. You can always keep coming back here to stay busy!

3 Likes

Thank you for your response it’s nice to know you do get responses to your questions. I’m very big on exercising it’s just when I start to whine down for the day is when that boredom raises its ugly head. I’m going to start doing a 30 day challenge tomorrow and I’m thinking about stomach crunches wish me luck. When I passed out on Sunday it was very scary. I was with my Best Friend and she also had too many. I didn’t realize that I was laying in 90 degree sunny temperature. My girlfriend couldn’t move me, luckily her husband had enough sense to come and help me inside. That was it for me I knew it was time too stop! I’m just glad to be here.

1 Like

I was the same way with having the cravings hit as I was winding down for the day. An important part of my early recovery after the physical problems wore off, was to re-wire my brain to replace the drinking habits I had formed with new healthier habits. My brain by the end of my drinking associated doing almost anything with a drink. It sounds like you have a good start with the workout challenge! Keep coming back here to keep us posted on how that goes!

I’m sorry to hear about this past weekend, that had to be scary to go through. Almost none of us come in here on winning streaks. As time goes on and the voice that tells us that “we’re ok now and that it’s ok to have a drink or two” comes back, try to remember this feeling and how terrifying it was. Remembering my bottom always helps remind me that I never want to go back there, and that one drink is one too many and 1000 more will never be enough for me.

4 Likes

In my early days i filled my day with exercise, meetings, visiting prisons and hospitals carrying the message ,found plenty to keep me occupied wish you well

5 Likes

One thing that I realized that has been huge for me and has really helped with my boredom is that when you’re sober, you can go out and do way more fun things than you ever could have done drunk or hungover.

You don’t have to just sit around and home and stare at the TV. I get into the outdoors a lot more…walking and hiking doesn’t require any special equipment and doesn’t cost anything.

That’s just one example but I’m sure you get the idea! It may seem like an obvious thing but it took me a while to realize. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

I will definitely remember what happened to me that day and how AWFUL I felt the next two days when those voices do come and I know they will. I had to ask myself what in the heck are you doing to yourself. It’s a bitter sweet feeling! Bitter that it happened and sweet to realize that I can’t keep going like this. If I have one drink I want at least 3 more! So now I’m telling myself I don’t want any!!

1 Like

Welcome to the group. Yeah, boredom and triggers are what I’m dealing with. I’m trying to keep myself busy and learn to do things I like to do without drinking. Like Adam mentioned exercise is a good one. It’s great for your mind and body and should help you sleep better.

1 Like

Literally just been having this convo with my other half…. I’m going to struggle Friday and sat evenings think I’m going to try late night swimming

1 Like

Now that the holidays are soon approaching, Again I’m taking it one day at a time, but I’m also going to have a plan for this weekend. My fiancé loves to travel and venture out and do new things and alcohol is always a factor, thank goodness he is not an alcoholic, he a social drinker, he can do without it, so that makes me feel good. So now l‘m just preparing myself for those awkward moments. This didn’t happen overnight and it’s not going to be cured overnight. So now I realize that and it just makes me be much stronger. I was proud to pour out a bottle of wine that I found in my dresser drawer today. I also was proud to walk into a store today and not be bullied or intimidated by the bottles on the shelf….

3 Likes

I’ll reach out on this site. Most people that know me don’t know that I drink the way I do, and since Covid I really haven’t been around a lot of people so I’ll just keep sharing on here, I like it here…

1 Like

Welcome Chelly! Boredom was my downfall too. Trying new hobbies helped. Am I good at them? No! :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Good luck and glad your here!

1 Like

Something I wrote about boredome…hope it helps

Continuing the discussion from To the relapser: volume 8

1 Like