How to handle judgemental and non-understanding family?

I’m not saying I did nice things while drunk, but how to handle all the criticism, bad words, yelling…? I get more support on this app than from my husband. He says that I CHOOSE that ‘lifestyle’ and actions but I don’t know anymore if that was disease or my weakness and dumbness… Confused and discouraged. I know he can’t be trusted in me so soon but how to handle this more confident? They don’t understand…
I want to help them too

6 Likes

Just be honest. You dont owe anyone any explainstion. Just be truthful and honest. In reality, we do choose our own choices. So we didnt choose addiction but we chose to drink or use what our DOC was/is… Just love your family and always keep looking forward :heart:

4 Likes

simple as is dont … . just don’t put up with it its youre journey if they don’t want to be part of it fuck em (parden my french) last thing you need is negativity in recovery

5 Likes

I found not setting expectations on how others see me helps. I know I’m doing the next right thing and that’s all that matters. If they can’t accept that I’ve changed then that’s on them. I can only control how I’m feeling and what I’m doing.

7 Likes

I have exactly the same with my husband , to the point where he’s told me if I drink again he’s leaving . I’ve told him that Ive stopped drinking , im on day 17 and he avoids the subject or tells me how I was when I was drinking and how he hates that person . All negativity and I don’t need it at this stage.

6 Likes

Totally same here… but we will be better than ever, our glow up moment is coming! I belive in us Beccy :heart:

4 Likes

I can relate to this situation well. I did unspeakable terrible things as a drunk @ss b&tch, including cheating on my husband multiple times with another alcoholic person or some other guy who took advantage on me, throwing him with objects like rotten chicken breasts, punching him etc. All the times being drunk. He was devastated. Yes, he threatened me with divorce several times but stayed. He is very supportive now, however does not really understand my addiction, he still thinks that after a break I may drink again and control the drinking, but I know for sure that is not possible. If your husbands haven’t left you already, hopefully they will stay forever and you wil be happy again and on the long-term. Btw, today is my 13th of sobriety, so pretty early on recovery. We all made the right decision and we make it work! :smiley: :smiley:

4 Likes

Sure we will make it work! Girl power! :heart::hugs::heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I hear this one!

Thanks for this thread. It sounds way like me also. I really appreciate the comments.