How to stay strong?

hi everyone
it’s my 4 day of beeing sober since March 2017…
I’m 32 yrs old and I have been drinking since school ( started when I was around 15yrs old)
It’s very hard to stay sober because I used to spend lonely evenings drinking and searching social media.

Now I’m trying to keep myself busy ,doing exercises etc
But what if I will have bad day ,if I will feel tired and bored?
And also I have weekend out (22.08-23.08)
How to tell my friends that I will be not drinking? I don’t want to tell them the truth…

Sorry for my English (it’s not my first Language)
:heart::crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Hey there! Congrats on day 4 of staying clean :slight_smile: first week was the hardest for me.
Sounds like you’re doing a great job of keeping busy. I totally get your worry of getting bored or down and then drinking again, I’m almost 100 days sober and that can still be an issue.
I think it’s a good idea to have back up plans. In my case I call my mom or talk to my boyfriend and together we come up with something to do or just talk until the urges go away. Maybe you have family or friends to talk to? Otherwise you can look for a sponsor or a sober buddy, it’s so important to have a support system!
If you dont want to tell your friends that’s totally up to you. You can say you just dont feel like it or maybe tell them only part of the truth like “I’m trying to drink less” or you have to get up early the next day. I know lying is bad and everything but sometimes a small lie or half truth should be okay if it’s for your health right?
Also dont feel obligated to go out, I’ve skipped a few parties on days where I wasn’t feeling secure and that’s fine :slight_smile:
Also your english is great!
Take care of yourself and reach out any time :blue_heart:

3 Likes

Hi 🙋
In the beginning of my sobriaty I told my friends I want to live healthy for a while so I didn’t drink alcohol. When I had more sober days (like 3 months or so) I told them I liked it that way so I remain it. My closest friends and family I told the truth in very early stage so they could stimulate me :wink:

I’m almost two year sober, this is what helped me so far:

Here are the things that helped me so far:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to read and check in sober.

If you have cravings come here and talk about it! Don’t crave alone! We are here for you! :heart:
Ps, your English is fine, it’s not my native language too :hugs:

3 Likes

Well done on 4 days. That’s great work.

If it’s something we really want we will do it.
Most of my drinking was done at work and on my own watching TV because my wife studies.
Well work hasn’t changed, or the time on my own in the evening.
I had to change.

Welcome to life. Not everyday is going to be filled with rainbows and sunshine.
We have to learn to work through the feelings.
I found doing something different, breaking the thought pattern at that moment helped to distract.

Do you have to go?
If so just say “I’m not drinking” nothing wrong with that decision. You are not breaking any rules or laws.
It’s your decision. It’s your choice.

2 Likes