How to stop talking yourself into relapse?

Thank you so much for your share. I definitely don’t want to hit “bottom”. I would lose a lot and I’ve worked so hard to be where I’m at. What I’m gathering from everyone is more meetings. I had a sponsor but i didn’t want to work with her anymore. It could have been my addiction talking me out of support. But i also just didn’t trust her anymore. I’m hesitant to get a new one, but I do have accountability partners.

Thank you for your share. I’m a single mom so I have no husband at home to check me. But I do have accountability partners. I’ve just talked myself out of reaching out when I’ve gotten to the point of telling myself it’s ok to drink. So far everyone is telling me more meetings. Are you apart of any group through AA or other method?

I definitely struggle with consistency. I’ve tried to make a routine and always fall off. I definitely need a hobby and I want to master sobriety. For sure.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. I understand what you mean. I have to focus on getting back into counseling because unfortunately my negative thinking doesn’t work for me in this situation. At least not yet.

I’ve been going to the gym more often lately. But it’s the consistency, and you’re right. I’ve been living in insanity.

I always have to remember the 2 most dangerous statements in recovery…I’m fine and I got this. Tell on your disease. Don’t give it a chance to talk you into anything. Be a tattle tale. It was so hard for me but, once I finally did it then it really worked.

1 Like

Thank you. How long do you have sober now?

1 Like

Tomorrow is 60 days. I know it’s not a lot but, it is the most quality sobriety I have had. I hope my suggestion works for you as well as it has been for me. :heart:

3 Likes

My boyfriend told me something he learned in rehab. Write down your worst moment , either using or withdrawing . keep it with you at all times and when you feel like using , take it out and read it to remind yourself why you don’t want to go down that road. Also get to a meeting or call someone .

2 Likes

Not being rude or disrespectful so please don’t take it that way…stop telling yourself all the reasons you need to use and start telling yourself all the things you’ll be able to do.

We know what a life of using gives us but we don’t know what a life of sobriety has in store for us.

Hang in there.

4 Likes

Very enlightening thread reading through the comments

I’ve too narrowed my circle and only associate with people who don’t influence me

2 Likes

Im not sure if anyone suggested to rely on God or not but ive been relativly sober for the past 1 year and 7 months thanks to prayer and listening to the audio Bible i always rely on Him when i have a hard time and the Good Lord is always there to hear our needs. ( 1 Peter 5:7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.)

3 Likes

Communing with my Savior daily is a huge part of living sober. I don’t mention it often because it was a big part of my life when I was still drinking. I recognize that I am still here, still have a wife amd family who love me, and have the ability to forgive me, is all due to His grace.

Shalom to you.

2 Likes

“Inside of me there are two dogs. One is mean and evil and the other is good and they fight each other all the time. When asked which one wins I answer, the one I feed the most.”

Sitting Bull
Souix War Chief

3 Likes

Thank you and congratulations. 60 days is huge. I am hopeful to be there one day.

1 Like

I had drawn an image before and kept it in my car. It did help. I took it down when I took my car in for service and lost it. Thanks for the reminder, I’ll go make another.

Not at all rude. Thank you. Sometimes the simplest things is what works and I most definitely will use your suggestion.

It is hard at first. But overtime it gets easier. I’ve deleted contacts and when someone txts me I’ll say wrong number lol

Thank you. I am apart of a celebrate recovery group and it is Christian based. I love it. It’s what has kept me continuing to come back when I have fallen. I didn’t know the Bible app was audio.

I love that. Very deep. I’m a Gemini. So I definitely have dual personality and most definitely have been feeding my “negative Nancy” and “depressed daisy”

1 Like