How to stop talking yourself into relapse?

https://dailyaudiobible.com

Love the daily audio bible.

Yeah the one i use is. Audio Bible mp3.

You will be. I have had longer(over a year) but, it wasn’t quality. I was basically white knuckling it, thinking I could just stop drinking and drugging by willpower all alone. I never changed my thinking or developed a way to deal with life on life’s terms. This is a shorter time but, much more productive and happy. It’s not all rainbows and lollipops but at least I am dealing and working on myself. Like sponsor told me…Joni, you had a thinking problem long before you had a drinking problem. So when we deal with our thinking it will give us much better coping skills. Don’t worry…you got this :heart:

2 Likes

I did too. Blocked and deleted like a 1/3 of my contacts in my phone (all unhealthy people) deleted every app besides bible, Pandora, a couple 12 step apps and this one. I avoid any places that I used to drink and most that I used to buy from (still have to go to the grocery store.) But actually I even ordered online for a few weeks till I felt it was safe for me to go there. I even rearranged some furniture and hung new pictures as well as getting rid of a few random things that might possibly trigger me. I also am rarely ever alone (besides driving, but that only started yesterday when I finally bought a car). So basically I did the complete opposite of my instincts and what I thought I wanted to do and had done before. So yeah pretty much everything had to change.

2 Likes

I love that analogy. Definitely was created by an addict and turned into one. Now I have to recreate myself. Congrats on your sobriety.

I agree. The longest stint I had I broke it down minute x minute. I only had that day and woke up begging for the desire to stay sober. Now I have to start back at that again because it worked.

How do you go about getting a sponsor? I’m 17 days clean and don’t know much about all that.

Omg!!! The Misery-Go-Round! That is the best damn description I’ve heard yet! Exactly what I keep jumping back on…the misery go round. I did the same thing…Thanksgiving is a cool sobriety date. New Years, my birthday, blah blah blah. It’s been 9 months and I’m back at day 4. Just got off the misery go round again.

1 Like

Take it day by day or minute by minute , go to meetings, use the phone list , do the steps , tell you self thsy you will use tomorrow then when tomorrow comes say the same thing . You can last a day right ? Also write a letter about your worst experience using or relapsing and when you feel like your weak pull it out and read it to remind yourself why you stopped.

Some times I think we just need to make more of a conscious effort than other times.
I have a list of positive ‘mantras’ and motivational quotes / beliefs of my own ( not cheesy ready made ones lol) that I go over daily to strengthen my mind towards sobriety, positivity and successes