How to stop the urges

I have been sober for 3 years from using. This last week the urges have been so tempting. I have not caved in but the fight has been a tough one to ignore. I’m just seeking some advice on what everyone does to fight against, prevent, etc the temptations when they are there.

Thank you.

Not sure how much mine will help, but I usually like to think of something I’d like to protect. Kicking the fighting instincts into gear just help me for some reason.
I’ve put up sticky notes around my bed so when I wake up I’ll be able to better think things through.
Keeping busy is good. I don’t think I’ve ever cleaned so much in my life before.

3 Likes

I’ve been sober from alcohol for 121 days now but I worry I’m falling back to a bad habit. My addiction started with smoking weed and then it led to bigger things. I was doing so well with giving up weed but then I started smoking a little here and there and now I’m back to smoking every day. I worry that eventually I will go back to drinking too. I want to stop smoking but I can’t seem to stop and I can’t get it out of my mind till I cave. I don’t know what to do so any advice anyone can give me it would much appreciated!

1 Like

Distraction, keeping busy, changing up my routine, calling my sponsor or someone in my support group. Telling on my disease seems to take power away from it. I dont know how it works, but it does…
i hit a meeting if possible.
I take it hour by hour, if i just dont use for the next hour ill be ok…
I pray about it, there is power in prayer!
Do you have any hobbies, anything you enjoy doing? Maybe pick a new hobby or pick one back up.
I hope this helps! Take what you will and leave the rest… These things have gotten me 15+ months so far. So i guess something is working!

2 Likes

My best advice is to observe them with curiosity. I still get get urges to smoke weed, but if I take time to examine my urges the logic usually falls apart pretty quickly. When I was using I was a slave to acting upon my urges without looking at the possible consequences. Now, while they still pop up I can often slow down that process a bit and see if acting on that urge actually works for what I’m trying to with my life now. All the best to you with this, it’s not easy sometimes, but you can get through it. This too shall pass… :slight_smile:

That is an amazing suggestion - thank you @shamedpuppet

1 Like

I think for smoking weed maybe find a CBD strain that doesn’t make you “feel high” rather it relaxes you. Taking away the anxieties and etc. You can do it, I believe in you

Thank you for these suggestions. I recently picked up playing piano, so that has helped me.

Thank you so much for this.

1 Like