Hubby drunk drove home at 3am

My hubby just drove home drunk at 3am (up a very quiet moorland road and bridleway) and has now gone walking back to check he hasn’t done any damage despite making me watch his car cam which showed he luckily managed to do it safely! We live in the middle of the moors, it’s pitch black and raining and he is slurring drunk but I’ve let him go as I know he would cause a big row and wake our 7 year old if I said anything. All this and ‘i’ am the alcoholic round here supposedly!! He says he can’t forgive me for things I’ve done whilst drinking - well i dont think i can forgive him this!!! just sharing as I can’t sleep now!!!

3 Likes

Wow, is this his way of getting back at you? I’m sorry you had to deal with this. Being sober and taking care of, or even just having to be around someone drunk is A. Not fun. B. Incredibly annoying.

Hang in there and try to get some sleep!

2 Likes

Thats incredibly irresponsible, I know because Ive driven home drunk and been incredibly irresponsible. He should have called you to come get him, but also wtf is he doing being out so late while his wife and kid are at home?HELLLLLL NO.
I think this needs to be handled in the morning you are right about not saying anything yet.Expect him to try to place some blame on you, but know that hes responsible for his actions the same way you are.
Oh, and there should ALWAYS be forgiveness on both ends. Its not fair for anyone to be made to feel guilty about the past especially if they are trying to be better.
Im sorry you are going through this, just remember everything passes.

1 Like

To be fair though, I used to look at it the other way. It was me blackout drunk most times, slurring, and acting like a total asshole so it’s a good time to reflect on why you choose sobriety, but also what he likely had to deal with a lot when you were drunk. A good strategy is to kill him with kindness, and don’t cause a fight because when it was you I’m sure you would have liked some understanding. That way, he has no reason to be agitated at you, and you will have that little episode in your back pocket as evidence that no one is perfect…

5 Likes

Thanks everyone, I have no idea why he did it, I like the idea of just being super nice to him, he will not be expecting that reaction!

1 Like

I disagree, don’t kill him with kindness, it will just let him think his behavior is adequate, from my own personal alcoholic self, ignore, just nod and agree , it will make him feel annoyed, but that’s how you don’t give in

2 Likes

Knowing your story with @Jasmine69, he’s got his own demons he’s dealing with and hasn’t faced and is using you as an excuse. This is on him, not you. Keep doing the right thing.

5 Likes