Hungover and Ready to Start Over

Decided I could try and moderate again…and here I sit hungover on a Monday. So disappointed that I keep myself in this awful cycle. I’m ready for change and I need to do this :heart:

Any advice in terms of what keeps you sober in terms of habits?

Thanks in advance :pray:t2:

5 Likes

I just tagged a bunch of older threads with great info, take a look at them…they should be at the top of your feed.

1 Like

What works better than anything else I have seen is to (1) decide to completely surrender*, and accept the suggestions of AA for one year (one day at a time) and (2) do the program 100%, and make it your 100% priority for that one year.
If you are like me, at the end of the year you’ll be sober and your life immeasurably better in ways you never anticipated at the beginning.

“surrender” = stop trying to “run your own show”. You don’t really need a “higher power” right away, so much as you need to accept that YOU are not a god. In other words, humility. Which is mostly just understanding how little you really know or control. This puts you in a “hearing” frame, so the wisdom and power of the program can get inside and work for you.

1 Like
1 Like

Easiest drink for me to control is drink zero. After the first drink, I have no control. Only took me 20 years to figure that out. Stopping forever is impossible, so I dont drink today. I will worry about tomorrow when I wake up. Both sounded cliche. But I have strung together 128 days finally living those 2 things. Drinking is no longer an option, and I fight for that every day. I no longer worry about moderation, because I finally learned I cannot do that.

5 Likes

I had to do some field experiments myself until I finally learned that “drinking” and “moderation” we’re two words that just weren’t going to go together in my vocabulary. Today there is nothing in my life that’s worth a drink. As for tomorrow, well I will worry about not drinking then.

Some people can quit drinking on their own. I cannot. Nor do I wish to try. I stick around the rooms and listen to people who have the sobriety I want. I find out how they do it by asking for help. Then I follow the suggestions they give me.

I don’t have to reinvent the wheel to get clean. I just gotta follow directions on how to put the wheel on my car.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for this post! Too often I get myself overwhelmed with thinking about how I’m going to control my drinking for the rest of my life, this was exactly what I needed to read after resetting my clock again this morning :raised_hands:

1 Like

Ugh I used to hate Mondays! Now I sit in an AA meeting every Monday in amazement that I’m sober! It’s a miracle that an alcoholic like me is sober, happy and free! I had to go to rehab to be protected from myself. Now I work AA to the best of my ability. I have a sponsor and I work the steps. I’m willing to do anything that’s asked of me in AA. I hangout with the winners in AA. My sober friends are way more fun and crazy than any of my old drinking friends! I thought my party lifestyle was over when I got sober…but it’s just different now and I never feel like shit :wink:

2 Likes

Reset and move on. Learn from this experience and you will keep on getting stronger.