I AM Alcoholic

Good evening All,
I’m 215days sober. I’ve only been to about 4 AA meetings which were about 4 months ago and I found it very difficult to say “I AM A ALCOHOLIC”, reason being that if I had stopped, which is past why do i have to say “I am” like it is present and I’m still drinking like I used to. What is your thoughts on this?

7 Likes

I believe once a addict always a addict. I’ve tried on my own 4 years and failed. Aa meetings work if u work it … why worry about the ifs and buts … r u willing to go to any lengths 4 your sobriety ? If so does it really matter that much to question my name is Natalie I’m a addict. Just cos I’m not using today i bet u if i put a drug in me i would want more and more … That’s why I go to meetings shut up and listen. I don’t question . I will always be a addict I just choose one day a0t a time not to use x

10 Likes

This talks about It some

5 Likes

To me, saying it is surrendering and accepting I just can’t drink. One is too many and a hundred not enough.

Speaking those words aloud takes away some of the power alcohol has over me. And it’s a regular reminder that however far I’ve come, I know where from and ain’t going back.

For some it’s a stigma. To me it is strength.

8 Likes

The Big Book refers a person’s alcoholism in the past tense and the present tense interchangeably, so I take that to mean there’s really no difference between “I am” or “I was.” I’ll typically insert “recovering” or “gratefully recovering” when I announce myself, but to each their own.

The most important parts of this for me are I’m powerless over this disease, I can’t do this by myself, and I have the help I need.

5 Likes

Do you’ll think it would be offence of me to say “I’m not an alcoholic” at a meeting though?

Well, I don’t go to meetings anymore for one, but not cause of that “Saying” only cause I don’t have transport to get to a meeting.
So let me ask this then if One can Proudly stand up and say “I Don’t drink anymore” why can’t one say “I’m not an alcoholic”?
But get what everyone has said.

Only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

1 Like

@Mephistopheles do you understand my statement of been in public and saying “I Don’t drink anymore” then been at a meeting a saying “I Am A Alcoholic” I just find it a contradiction.
I accept and respect everyone that is at every meeting cause each has his/her own story to tell which i one great admiration for. But maybe @Natnat is right just go to the meeting, shut up and listen.

2 Likes

I just say my name and they don’t have a problem with it.

3 Likes

There are meetings I go to where longtime members just say their first name and that’s it. It’s noticeable but nobody cares.

2 Likes

We have one old timer (48 years I think) who just starts talking when he gets called on. If you don’t know who Bob R. is then he ain’t tellin you haha

4 Likes

I attend just 3 meeting.I helps me a lot But I am not comfortable to say “ I am a alcoholic “ maybe I will feel more comfortable in the future

3 Likes

Yea maybe just shut up and listen at a meeting maybe youl get something from them wish you well

3 Likes

There are several people at the meetings I’ve been to that don’t say “Name…Alcoholic” or “Name - I’m an Acoholic”. Some of them just say their name. Others have another phrase they use - of course the phrase escapes me now. Like @Englishd said - the only requirement is a desire to not drink. You can get a lot out of the meetings if you just go and listen which is what I’ve been doing. :slight_smile: All the best to you.

6 Likes

Hi Brendon. Welcome to the forum.
My name’s Geoff and I’m an alcoholic.
And I don’t drink. Because I’m an alcoholic!
Nice to meet you.
Stick around, you might learn something.

6 Likes

Knowing that i am an alcoholic is the reason why i don’t drink. It explains why i can’t have just 1 like eveyone else. It can be a source of shame and it can be a souse of achievement. Since i am not actively drinking now it does not change the fact that i will always be addicted to alcohol. How i handle that definition is separate from that label.

9 Likes

I’m Kelly, I’m an alcoholic.

I like the way it’s described… once a pickle becomes a cucumber it can never be a pickle again. After a year of relapses (I’m too embarrsed to screen shot there are so many) I am 14 days sober. I know for me 1 drink is too many.

I really really struggled with that 1st step. Same reasoning. I was but maybe now I am not I would think. Longest days sober to date was 58 days. Now, I have surrendered to the 1st step and yes, I AM an alcoholic. It sets a boundary for me.

One day at a time.

7 Likes

@Brendon, I see your point. It makes sense. Feels like a self-fulfilling prophecy to claim you’re still addicted to something that you’re abstaining from.

However, proclaiming that you’re not an alcoholic in a 12 step environment will not go over well. You’ll get a lot of confrontation. It would get the same reaction as if you went to church and proclaimed that you don’t believe in God. Maybe, AA is not the path for you.

You’ve been sober for 215 days! That’s awesome! Congratulations! And you did it without AA. Perhaps, what you’re doing now is already working. And if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

5 Likes

Good point for discussion I guess it depends on what stage or where your @ in addressing the words “I am an alcoholic” and what they represent for you.
At this present moment when I say to myself “I’m an alcoholic” these words represent my past that I have used for 16 days as stepping stones to remain & be sobre in this present moment.
Then again whatever floats your boat and works for YOU is what counts the most :heart:

1 Like