I am an alcoholic

Never drank till I was out of highschool. Got into road construction and it all went down hill. Got drunk every day for a year and a half till I totalled my car and got my first drunk driving. That happened in October of 2015. Sobered up.for 2 months then went back to it. A year after that I sat a month in jail in March of 2017 and got 2 years probation. Managed to stay sober for 7 months and in that time my son was born in June of 2017. Went down hill when my grandpa passed that September. Went on a 7 month bender which resulted in my getting my second drunk driving in June of 2018. Slowed down my drinking but not enough. Over a year later in November of 2019, I wrecked yet another car while drinking. This time I ran. Was scared shitless. Ended up finding out that night in the er that I shattered my 7th vertebrae in my neck and almost paralyzed myself from the neck down. Stayed sober for 2 months due to the meds I was on then went back to drinking. Not like I used to though. Finally.after multiple close calls I decided enough was enough and quit drinking 11 days ago. Since then quit smoking and quit eating or drinking sugar. All I want to do is drink. Any suggestions to stay sober?

18 Likes

Bring back sugar for a little while, deal with one demon at a time. Drink a shit ton if water, stay well fed and well rested. H.A.L.T. if you’re craving. It stands for hungry, angry, lonely, tired. Often our cravings are triggered by one of them.

I listened to 100’s of hours of sobriety podcasts and spent just as much time on here. Submerge yourself in recovery as much as you can. You are fighting for your life right now.

You are not depriving yourself of anything by abstaining from alcohol but alcohol has been depriving you of living a full happy life. Best wishes and welcome :pray:.

13 Likes

Thats not a bad idea. Wasnt sure how.it would go dropping everything at once. And thats one thing we talked about in my group last week was triggers. I have quite a few without even realizing it. Thank you for the advice and input!

2 Likes

Look up podcasts or YouTube for sobriety stuff. Eat lots, lol. I was always weak when I was hungry.
Picture a healthy life that you deserve.
Come here before you pick up.

5 Likes

I do think that you’ve reached the point where you’ve decided you’ve had enough of having that substance control you life. It is going to be a rewarding journey but one you need to put your spirit into which each person who sustains their sobriety does. It will become easier over time, I wouldn’t just quit sugar because you’re likely to get sugar cravings and because your body has relied on booze for so long thats gonna be your first go to and it might push you to relapse again.

Do some nice stuff for yourself, I never had sugar cravings until I stopped drinking, I like me a couple peanut butter cookies in the morning. It subsides the cravings and helps you to deal with the addiction to the substance. But I would focus on flushing your system of those toxins, especially your liver and other organs. Drink tons of water, start adding some good healthy food if you don’t already into your diet, start taking supplements not anything crazy just get your body full of vitamins, your liver is gonna take time to repair as does the rest of your body so lots of tlc. And last I would recommend being patient, it gets easier we all deal with our own problems in sobriety but stay true to that. Add exercise into your life besides work and meditate, these are all healthy things you can do for yourself. It gets easier and you aren’t alone in this

9 Likes

Thank you much for the advice and input. Definitely alot to consider there.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ve already put on 15 pounds in the first 11 days haha

4 Likes

Gotta agree with the advise above. For me it was really important to handle one Vice at a time. I stopped the drugs, a week or two later the drinking (my main culprit). A year and a half after that I stopped smoking, and now a year and a half or so after that I’m starting to address my unhealthy tendencies with eating. When I quit drinking though??? Man…that was the only thing I focused on. I read as many sobriety books and podcasts as I could, was on here constantly…I surrounded myself in sobriety…and importantly…I let myself eat whatever the fuck I wanted as long as it wasn’t alcohol or drugs. Sometimes that meant velveeta shells and cheese multiple times a day. Or ice cream once or twice a day. All of that leveled out in the first few months. What I put into my bodynon a weekly basis now is night and day from 3+ years ago…but it took time, patience, commitment and definitely more time. Sending you strength :yellow_heart:

5 Likes

Great job on deciding to get sober!!

My body craved sugar when I stopped drinking. Starburst reds and seltzer got me through the hardest part. I also suggest worrying about the alcohol first. Then when you’re in control you can take on another vice.

4 Likes

Welcome and so glad you found TS. You are so young with SO much life to live. By stopping the madness now, you can live such a more fulfilling life. You didn’t mention the circumstances of your drinking. If you go to a bar, friend’s house, etc. you should steer clear for a while. That could be hard, but necessary. You can do this as many others have. I hope to see you posting here often.

3 Likes

Wow Bob! You got one of the best advice threads that I’ve seen for you on here! Beautiful! I’m glad you’ve decided to move in the right direction. Stay with us and the use the support given. Someone’s usually on because we’re worldwide so don’t hesitate to post :slight_smile: sending strength :muscle::purple_heart:

3 Likes

Happy to hear you have made a decision. Now I might suggest that you find a meeting. Either online or in the rooms. We all have a common goal and that’s not to drink or used for today. I’m at day 51. I’ve lost over 20lbs and for the first time in years my head is beginning to clear and I feel a sense of peace around me. Try not to take on too much at once. The most important thing is our sobriety. With that everything else will come in time. Stay active on here and reach out when you feel like giving up. There is great power when we surround ourselves with like minded people.

3 Likes