I am new - HELLO

Finally after reaching 35yrs I am accepting I have a problem with alcohol. Since covid I have been drinking more at home, started just at the weekends and then it quickly escalated to a 5pm treat. When I drink I do black out, have the worse hangovers of vomiting the next day but it just never was enough to make me stop. I then decided if i woke up hangover I would take another drink or 2 to avoid the roughness of the actual hangover - surprisingly it worked so I continued nearly everyday doing this for a long time.
I stopped drinking for 10 days but then had a family event on Sat and got given 2 pints of lager tops. I hesitated but still drank them. I stopped after the 2 when I clearly could have drank so much more… I was proud of my willpower to say no more but felt guilty the rest of the day to having relapsed. So today we start again on Day 2!!
I really want to change for my physical and mental health as well as for my husband.

20 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on 2 days of sobriety! Glad ur here :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome to the community!

2 Likes

Well done on making 2 days alcohol free. This is a great place for support and help whenever you need it.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community! Your story about drinking in covid is so similar to my own. It’s been a rollercoaster so far but I’m still here and still trying. Good for you!

3 Likes

Welcome :blush: congrats on your days so far, :tada: and for making the decision to leave alcohol behind for good :tada: You have found a wonderful community here, read around, and reach out when you need to.

🩵

2 Likes

Ahhhhhh, I got that thirsty problem too!

Sure am glad I came here as it has really helped me in times when no meeting or other like minded people were around.

Welcome aboard and see ya around, Ellie.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome Ellie. I think you’ll find lots of useful information and some pretty awesome people here :wink:. Here’s a link with some info you might find useful.

Welcome to Talking Sober! 2023 update!

1 Like

Welcome, also reached 35 years and had a pretty normal life until then BOOM addiction takes over last couple of years, don’t worry you ain’t on your own regardless of age or problems :heart:

1 Like

Welcome here :raising_hand_woman:
Nice to meet you, I’m Claudia and have a problem with alcohol myself. That’s why I stopped drinking with the help of this app and the people in it. You will find loads of info here, use the search button on top to find them.
See you around!

2 Likes

Welcome @Ellie35 and I am glad you’re ready to make some positive changes in your life. Hair of the dog? Not surprised that worked. Did that too,a lot. With drugs and alchohol.

That’s noble. Please do it for yourself to ensure a better chance of success. Imho. There is a lot to check out here,look around. I like to express my gratitude daily on the gratitude thread and read others gratitudes. You are now part of a supportive loving group of souls traveling
the path of sobriety. Glad you’re here. See ya’ around.

1 Like

I commend your willpower to say no more. It’s my day two today. I want this bad enough to be clean and sober. I encourage you to pat yourself on the back for every moment away from use. We will get stronger as long as we keep a recovery plan. God bless…

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. I hope this community proves to be a useful tool in your sobriety toolbelt.