I am reading Allan Carrs book

I would highly recommend. It is making me see alcohol in a new light, please give it a chance.

I went to AA a few times this week. I do like that you are in a safe environment to discuss problems but I really am not religious and they stuck to the agenda, like our life depended on it, (edit, I just meant it felt weird to have to say prayers I do not believe in and read the blessing etc) so I have a feeling it will not work for me, especially when I hear from some group members they have been going for 30 years, why are they still feeling powerless? The man that was sober for this long time seemed like he was not getting anywhere, in 30 yrs I hope an AA programme would have helped him more?? and if going there every week has not improved his mood. I wanted to talking with him more both we had our readings to do.

Sorry if I offended anyone, if AA works for you great, but it you read Allan Carrs book I believe you may find a good insight. Give it a shot and try to read with open mind and on a day when feeling positive.

4 Likes

Allen Carr’s book was the first book I read about sobriety from alcohol, I found it really insightful and it really helped me address the “why” about my drinking. It totally changed my mindset, definitely one of the best books I’ve read.
Annie Graces book This Naked mind is based on very similar principles but is a bit of a lighter read if you like this approach (in fact I think Allen Carr is probably at the foundation of a lot of her ideas)

1 Like

In my best guess it’s because they’re alcoholic, and after the 1st drink they are powerless. Doesn’t matter if you’re 30 minutes or 30 years, if you’re an alcoholic, you’re powerless after the first drink.

I’ve only heard good things about Carr’s book, don’t just read it, practice those principles in all your affairs.

5 Likes

Layla I am not sober for long but I do know I am powerless and that I will be for the rest of my life… When I start I can’t stop…

But concerning this religious matters , don’t be discouraged and I think going to the meetings does help a lot. Many people I met are not religious and their concept of a higher power Is their own as it should be in AA… Many of them didn’t even think about it till long after… Some said they believe in the power of Alchoholics helping each other…

Concerning the book when I finish my current pile I hope I will read it.

5 Likes

I have read this book a few years ago. My Kindle is full of books on alcohol and sobriety)). All very educational, eye opening and inspiring. However, after finishing yet another book and a short period of sobriety I went straight back to drinking. As it’s been said many times on this forum, everyone must find/use method(s) that works for them, and thank God there’re many!

4 Likes

My life absolutely does depend on it. Many old timers continue to go to AA because it’s their duty to help newcomers. AA would die if people didn’t continue to show up. I’m only powerless over alcohol if I drink it. AA and my HP have removed my obsession and compulsory to drink. I forget what page it’s on, but the 10th step promises are lit.

5 Likes

Completely agree. I do NA not AA but I have attended both and what you said is spot on. You can only keep what you have by giving it back to the newcomer. Don’t know if that’s word for word but it’s essentially sponsorship and I can’t honestly see my dysfunctional ass ever having someone just following what I guide them with in sobriety but from hearing other sponsors speak it’s def powerful for themselves. Were a visual reminder of addiction, it’s probably a great feeling to help someone in need and I hadn’t had a major get together with my sponsor and his sponsor my gransponsor but I’ve heard it is like a whole new family and for some of us it’s a family we always needed and wanted.

2 Likes

Allen Carr’s book was helpful for me on my journey as well. So was This Naked Mind by Annie Grace, I think she got a lot of her inspiration from his book. There are som great threads on here about sobriety memoirs and books, I have read A LOT of the books and they helped set a tone in my mind about sobriety that I follow to this day.

3 Likes

I am glad it works for you . I wish you only the best and of course to seek comfort where you can get it. If I ever have a really bad time I know there is a place I can go for help and that is a great feeling. Take care

1 Like

Yes, I get that but I do know a friend who says he was an alcoholic, he read that book, never went to AA and is 12 years sober. He thinks alcohol is poison and does not want it or actually need it. I plan to try both not give up totally on AA. I do like meeting and talking with new people but I hope to find alternatives to be in a place where I do not fancy a drink. Right now Im strong but I know that can change fast. I always relied on alcohol to make me feel free from problems for a few hrs the world seemed brighter and more nice. These days I just get a terrible hangover and feel shit for days. If I can hold on to that, I hope I do not succumb. We all have to stay strong. Alcohol is poisoning us all, even the ones that seem to have it together, it has become a social norm. Hugs to you!

1 Like

I’m glad to hear your friend has been so successful, it’s not normally the case for us.

I was able to put booze down for a bit, but I didn’t know how to live without. I was an angry, resentful person with a massive ego and sense of entitlement so I always returned to drinking. My thoughts were if life is this miserable sober, I may as well be a miserable drunk. AA gave me a new way of life, one that has been far more to my liking and far more to the people around me liking. Almost 13 months sober now and life has never been more full, positive and fun because I gave up the fight and admitted my powerlessness.

It doesn’t matter how you get sober, so long as you do. Life is infinitely better sober. I’d suggest continuing going to meetings and leave the spiritual stuff at the door if it’s not your cup of tea. AA has one requirement, the desire to stop drinking, nothing else is required.

3 Likes

My sister read that book and quit drinking over a year ago, she had good things to say about it.

About prayer… I am not here trying to change your mind, but maybe provide a point of view that might be provocative.

I see prayer, in the context of AA, like a company views an advertising campaign. It is believed that we need to hear or see something 3 times before we remember it. The more we hear it, the more it’s embedded in our minds. Some people may call it a mantra, some may call it a prayer, but if you recite the serenity prayer everyday, you will be likely remember the meaning during difficult times, and that can be the difference between sobriety and relapse. Reminds me of how we had to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in school every morning, what was that all about? :wink:

2 Likes

I did read his book too, helped me to realize that alcohol is pure poison :+1:

1 Like

I dont believe anyone is powerless if you cant handle booze dont drink. Its nonsense to say after one drink it’s over, you dont want to drink so why have one. You are in command. AA I believe is similar to pub, it’s a gathering of like minded people who wish to stop or the pub group that wishes to drink. I was quite happy to drink by myself and likewise can stop by myself. I am just not a group type of guy

I read this book and it’s been a huge help in my recovery. AA is similar in that it helps people see through the illusion of drinking. I’ve been sober a bit over a year without AA, but, I’ve been considering it lately for both the idea of fellowship (hanging out with people who have similar habitual patterns AND a similar desire to be better sounds awesome to me) and the idea of self work ( I’m a fan of being a better me and welcome the idea of working on that). Right now I’m starting the refuge recovery book. It also lays out a plan to work out the root causes of our addictive behaviors, so for right now that’s what I’m doing. I have found that staying open to all tested methods that have been known to work helpful for me. To steal and bastardize the Rumi quote “there are 1,000 ways to kneel down and Kiss the earth” …there are a thousand ways to kneel down and surrender to sobriety…just… ya know… ACTUALLY KNEEL DOWN AND START DOING IT! :joy:

Stay sober out there today friends❤️

I have the Clif notes of Allen Carr, no more hangovers. Great for me because I can pick it up and blow through it, revitalizing my desire to be AF. Also Annie Grace has been a great resource, this naked mind, podcasts, and the alcohol experiment. I haven’t read her latest bóok, but I sure I will soon.

1 Like