I am so afraid that I will relapse

Hello,

Its been a really rough week, my brother kicked me out of his house thinking that I relapsed when in fact I didn’t… it was a very tiring day when he kicked me out and it was my first day at a very demanding job…
He made a big fight and kicked me out I had to go to my mother’s house without even my stuff…
I feel like I am very lost I cannot focus on my new job though it is an amazing job due the fact of the emotional stress I’ve been through since the fight…

All I’ve been thinking about is substance abuse… and I am so afraid of relapse… being bipolar is an every day battle… and the situation that happened is not making it any easier… especially that I am in a very depressive episode and I don’t want to screw up in the new job…

Any advice on how to distract myself of using again?
I have an appointment with my therapist next week but I am in such a fragile state right now… :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Hi May @Mimi88, I’m sorry you are feeling fragile right now and that your brother kicked you out. Can you explain to him that you didn’t relapse? Maybe send him a text? It might make you feel better.

You’ve definitely got the right idea about distracting yourself from the addict voice in your head. Can you go for a walk, read a book, take a bath or maybe watch something fun on Netflix? I’m glad you reached our here. Sending you hope.

3 Likes

Hi May - I’m sorry that you are feeling so fragile right now that the thoughts of substance abuse are present. You have been through a lot emotionally (fight with brother, moving in with mom, new job). I do hope that you are able to patch things up with your brother - hopefully he will realize that he was in the wrong for assuming that you had relapsed.

Are you able to go to a meeting right now or very soon (if not in person - can you jump onto a zoom meeting)?
Go outside for a walk if possible - the fresh air might be helpful? Try to do something that you like to keep you busy (could be a hobby or just watching tv or playing games on your phone) Anything to keep your mind occupied till the urges pass.
Is it possible to see your therapist any sooner or have a phone session?
Keep going through and reading the threads on this site - that has always been a good distraction and I get some great advise from the posts.
Sending you strength and love - hang in there you are doing awesome. :people_hugging: :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you so much guys its been really tough since that happen… thank god I didn’t relapse but i am still going through a lot… i am trying my best to distract myself.
And your advices was very helpful.

3 Likes