I can have just one

Now, most people on here are on here because they have a problem with alcohol or drugs. Most are, obviously there are people struggeling with other issues but they arent really the focus of this post but it can probably be relatable.

So, i cant say how many times ive read in posts, mostly relapse posts, how some people can get comfortable and think they can just have one drink…right. i read one a few days ago where the poster said they were prepared to have one drink so a friend didnt feel uncomfortable with them not drinking. To me thats playing with fire, and no extinguisher.
I know that i can probably go out and have one, maybe 2 beers tonight… but i can guarantee you within 3 days max i will be drinking every day and blacking out. Sure. Not everybody on here drinks til blackout, or even everyday, but that is the place i progressed to. When i had my forst serious attempt at quitting i had a neighbor give me a beer, i foolishly drank it. I was only 53 days sober, but by the end of that week i was drinking all the time. I started having a beer or 2 on my drive to work. I had NEVER done that before. It took another 3 months to finally quit again after many failed attempts.
Im not tempting fate again! I dont think anybody that drank would tell somebody who had quit an addiction to prescription meds or heroin that it was ok to just have one. That sounds insane right?! Thats the addict mind messing with you. You werent that bad, you can control it now. No, you cant otherwise you wouldnt be here. I sure as hell wouldnt. Play that tape all the way through til the next morning. Imagine how you’ll feel physically, aaaand emotionally. Its not worth it. Being sober is though.

So, i just want to stress that you can never get comfortable and just have one drink no matter how long you’ve been sober. At least i cant, and ive seen many on here that cant also. In my experience it got harder and harder to quit, and i also went further down that hole each attempt. I got extremely lucky i didnt lose everything i had, because i was so close to getting caught and doing just that.
I want everybody on here thats quit or struggeling to know you can do it, but you’ve got to keep working at it. You can never get too comfortable with your sobriety, that first one will get you every time and all you have to do is not pick up that first one. I truly want to see everybody succeed in beating their addiction…including myself!
So the weekend is here, lets all be strong whatever your addiction! Have a great weekend everybody.

49 Likes

Amen brother! Really, when was the last time we had just one?

5 Likes

True my sober brother. True. Yet someone always thinks they’re special. They can beat the odds, have that one drink.

I could have a glass of wine tonight, or 3 fingers of bourbon. I might be able to stop at one, this time. But what about the next time?

Fools weigh the odds. The wise weigh the stakes.

9 Likes

Just one? Like one case? Or one handle? I can usually have just one of those if I wanted to.

4 Likes

Exactly, 1 to me always signified at least a 5th to myself.

“I can drink this 5th and not lose my shit, I can quit tomorrow cause I already proved I can not drink by being sober for 2 weeks”

The 1 wont hurt club gets people all the time, don’t join that club.

8 Likes

My weekend starts as soon as I hit my meeting on Friday, I can’t have just one, been there, wore the t-shirt, as they say, it’s truly not worth it, I reset so many times and nearly lost my kids over it, now I’m like what the f was I thinking. I have to have my Friday meetings to put in in good stead for the weekend, I can’t stress enough how important they are, and that’s from someone who never wanted to go to them, they really are a lifeline. Getting sober also means changing your routines, if it doesn’t change then you’re stuck doing the same thing and let’s face it, it’s been a trigger before and will still be one if you don’t change

8 Likes

Thats one of the first things I really had to learn and accept. I am not special or unique. Just a drunk like millions of other drunks. There’s nothing extraordinary about me and my drinking. So there is no way I could possible be an exception to the rule of drunks.

12 Likes

I sure as hell tried my hardest to be an exception though!!

3 Likes

Same here. My will-power works with sobriety. Against moderation it as proven unreliable.

3 Likes

I really wanted to be the first alcoholic to “tame” my drinking. That was a big nope

5 Likes

I could never have one or two beers. It would piss me off to even try to. If I decide to drink the first round would be one six pack of pounders. Then the genie would be out of the bottle (or can) and I’d be drinking about that amount almost every evening. And it’s binge drinking as I guzzle them quickly to be brain numb as soon as possible.

3 Likes

“It’s not that some people have the willpower and some don’t. It’s that some people are ready to change and others are not.” - James Gordon

I consider myself a “normal” person, I don’t have any super powers or special abilities. I don’t have a 7 octave voice nor can I run a mile in less than 7 minutes. Just a normal guy. But what I think I do have is above average willpower. I’ve done amazing things because of my will, only now am I applying it to sobriety.

Keep rockin!

5 Likes

Great mindset. Thank you for this.

3 Likes

Yes, yes, yes !!! I can’t say this enough too, don’t play with the fire guys it will burn you bad!
Stopping after failing got harder every time that I thought “one won’t hurt”, I was in this hell 3 times. I don’t want to have those feelings again ever. I would lie if I say that I never think about alcohol. I do! I use to remember how it felt to be hungover again and again. Soon we will have a christmas party at work and there will be MUCH alcohol, another test for me. I know alcohol is strong, but so am I and so are you :hugs:

4 Likes

I always used to ask myself what good would ONE drink really do? I couldn’t come up with a single honest answer. Just lots of reasons not to. It’s really nice having the torture of asking myself if I could moderate or not gone now! I quit drinking for a reason. Now I wonder why I would ever want to? These 7 months have really changed everything for me and I absolutely love this sober life!!

12 Likes

Thanks for reminding me how important our sobriety is and how we must always make it a priority. Have a great weekend everyone.

2 Likes

I run 2 miles in 30 minutes, :joy: I’m some kind of special for sure on that one :running_man: :running_man:

Well said my thought process is similar except more along the lines of seriously what’s the point of one drink?! I would want more than one to have any “great” effect anyway -and that is why I can’t just have one because I cannot just have one.

4 Likes

That was totally one of my reasons lol.

1 Like

I was needing to listen this. Thank you

1 Like