I can't drink normally

I’d like some recommendations for inspirational videos as well, if anyone could post some, thanks

The one that really took me was Craig Ferguson explaining on his show why he stopped drinking. It was a sad story somehow turned really funny. He said he got sober at 29 which is how old I am. He was also a silly occasional binge drinker like me.

1 Like

Thanks. Here it is, if anyone else wants to see it, starts at 3.30: https://youtu.be/7ZVWIELHQQY

3 Likes

Thx! Saving it

1 Like

I totally understand where you are coming from. I am the same, one is not enough and I don’t stop until I pass out . It got to a point when I could never remember how I stopped. The feeling of panic and cold as the blood would freeze trying to remember what I did the night before. I stopped 10 days now this forum is helping me so much. Stay strong :muscle: xx

1 Like

‘Stopping drinking was not the magic solution to my problems but it’s the only setting under which I can.’ WOW! What a terrific way to express Step 1 of the AA program, admitted we were powerless over alcohol and our lives had become unmanageable. You are well on your way, friend. I hope you find a solution that works for you to bring your powerful words to full actualization.

That was really good. I adore Craig Ferguson!

Alcohol is cunning baffling and powerful. I didn’t think I was an alcoholic just a binge drinker. I did not drink everyday but when picked up that first drink I could not predict if I would have 1 or 20. Alcohol was not the problem it was the solution to my thinking problem. I could interact with people better I felt better out going smart and confident. When I was sober I was the complete opposite. I quit drinking for an extended period of time until I convinced myself to try social drinking. I can’t I have what they call in AA an allergy. This time I went to AA to try to find a better way to live instead of staying miserable and not drinking. Today I am going to receive my 10 month chip from a bunch of people that were strangers but now are major players in keeping me sober. I wish you all the best which ever path you choose. Whether it is AA, therapist or a program of recovery it is your journey. How much time do you spend on thinking about alcohol? Can that time be better spent?

3 Likes

As I get more into this app, just discovered this thread, which is all about me and my issue with alcohol. Thanks for the many insights noted here guys - I shall draw strength and guidance from them, as I try to avoid the rocks presented for me by having loads of fantastic friends and colleagues, and living in one of the greatest party towns on earth, but just ending up getting into darker and darker places, because once I start in certain circumstances I just can’t stop till I even forget to keep drinking - and by that time I’ve totally forgotten who I am, what I do, what I believe in, and how mindfuckingly lucky I am in every aspect of my life and being, except this little biochemical peculiarity.

Thanks for posting this thread. I’ve come to realize the same: I can’t drink normally. Just beginning to come to terms with the idea, and following advice from other threads: take it one day at a time.

Wow this thread. So yeah, I relapsed not long after that post saying 133 days. I moved and thought things were behind me. New town social scene completely involves alcohol. I wanted very hard to be a normal drinker and kept failing more than succeeding.

This got worse last summer. I was back to my old ways, missing work hung over. Got a therapist and a psychiatrist, put on depression meds.

This year has been relatively better. 3x a week became once or twice a month. Now I’ve recommitted to just stopping. I realized I have to convince myself I’m not missing out on anything. It’s been a slow process.

So yeah, I’ve been trying to quit for 2 years. My regret is not doing the deep dive on myself sooner. Seriously asking myself why I do what I do and what I really want in life. Just think and analyze for a few hours. Learn to want my sober life and not be sedated from it.

1 Like

Great to hear from you anyway.

Worried you should have done it sooner? I should have done it anything up to 40 years ago.

The deep dive is something I’ve got to fully embrace yet = one of the AA steps, I think, and that gig is something else I’m probably going to have to get into.

To our health through sobriety!

1 Like