I Can't, I Can't

I was thinking about this while at the gym.

I really can’t give up alcohol.
I can’t stop drinking.
Because I can’t bear the withdrawal
And I can’t handle the stress.
I can’t face my family,
I can’t face myself.

The one phrase you have to take out of your vocabulary is “I Can’t”. You need to remove that phrase today, right now.

By saying “I Can’t”, you’ve already decided to yourself that you won’t even try.

Instead of “I can’t” start saying I can.

I really CAN give up alcohol.
I CAN stop drinking.
Because I CAN bear the withdrawal
And I CAN handle the stress.
I CAN face my family
I CAN face myself.

When you begin to say I can, you are empowering yourself to be successful, you are building yourself esteem, and your confidence will skyrocket. And soon enough, I Can turns into I Will.

I really WILL give up alcohol.
I WILL stop drinking.
Because I WILL bear the withdrawal
And I WILL handle the stress.
I WILL face my family
I WILL face myself.

25 Likes

:sob::sob: Love this. Thanks for this positivity.

1 Like

You are very welcome! I try to stay in a positive mindset. It’s not always easy, but if you.look hard enough, everything has a silver lining, even if it’s ever so faint.

This way of thinking, I Can, you can use in all aspects of your life. At work, at home whatever. Some times, I Can comes with conditions. Like a friend asks you if you can go out for coffee on a busy day, say I can, if I reschedule my nobel peace prize acceptance ceremony. Ok, maybe thats not a great example, but I think you’re mopping up what I’m spilling…

1 Like

Strong message! And you’re so right. Once you think you “can’t” you’re already defeated.

1 Like

bitmoji-20171111070751

2 Likes

So true! So true!

Decide to be sober, and then be sober.

7 Likes

For me it was i have to go to meeting i have to get a sponsor i have to get on the program i have to help others ,and it worked for me i walked the walk hopefully everyone will continue on the sober path wish yo well

3 Likes

You can workout in the free weight section of your gym. You will workout in the free weight section of your gym.

I will look fwd to hearing all about it. Boom! (-:

1 Like

Hope that was you who mentioned free weights the other day lol

If not, I can and will delete earlier post lol

1 Like

Growth mindset is crucial for success imo

2 Likes

So true! It helps to believe you can handle it… and we can!

This is a central point in a good self help book I have called “Feel the fear and do it anyway”

Note: Not to say that we need to handle it all alone. About half of the folks here need a program to get to that point but they are still doing the handling.

1 Like

Yeah, that was me!

As soon as I read this post it reminded me of a book that I read, so it definitely makes sense to me.

3 Likes

2022 Update:

I really HAVE given up alcohol.
I HAVE stopped drinking.
I HAVE beared the withdrawal
And I HAVE handled the stress.
I HAVE faced my family
I HAVE faced myself.

No more I CAN’T

FOREVER I CAN!!

4 Likes

Awesome! :raised_hands:

And funny connection: this reminds me of ESL lessons I once taught about conjugation of verbs. “I can, I will, I have …” :joy:

2 Likes