I don't have to many strategy to controls when craving happen anyone got some ideas?

I usually let the thinking happen and become paralize for fews minutes
My sponsors told me to call a AA member when it happen but I can’t really think when it happen sometimes it’s happening because I forgot to eat or get tired …after eating ithe craving go anyone got other strategy???

2 Likes

Only think of the bad outcomes of Using, don’t think of the good times

3 Likes

Yeah I feel yah. I have definitely been struggling a lil bit lately myself. A few urges that things would be better if I went and got shit faced. But it honestly would not, I play the tape where I choke down the beer bc I never really like it anyway, I haven’t had heart burn once since I have stopped drinking. I know the first alcohol beverage I’ll get heart burn and then I’ll be waking up the next morning hungover and more then like puking for the stomach pains. The bad days sober, far out weigh the good days drunk that’s for sure. Just keep remembering where you were before you got sober, all the things you may have lost. Friends, family, will power and motivation. We can’t avoid the urges we have to feel them accept them and move on from them. Hop in the shower, or go for a lil walk. Things are difficult rite now no doubt, but they will get better

5 Likes

Well the obvious one is eat. However anything to get your mind on something else. Read, exercise, meditate, sometimes I throw on the show Mom. Its funny but theyre in recovery so it seems to help. The first 6 seasons are on Hulu.

1 Like

The thought comes before the craving.
Catch the thought check the thought change the thought.

Be mindful if u foegot to eat then eat.

We are not our thoughts😁
Hope its helps stay strong (mindful)

6 Likes

Stay hydrated and eat… I exercise, work on projects, read on this platform, listen to (sober guy) podcasts. Anything to keep an idle mind busy, really… exercise is great for the endorphins it releases.

2 Likes

When cravings hit, you have to think about halt.
Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

Most times the craving is caused by one of the above.

4 Likes

Eat something, rest if you’re tired, walk away if you’re angry, text or call anyone, select feeling lucky on google. And mostly remember that it will pass, it’s just one moment in your whole day, of that week. Everyone has cravings some easy, some hard and some unexpected. We’re human.

2 Likes

HALT has saved my ass 1000’s of times!! For me I had to notice some of my triggers like getting home from work I was usually anxious and hungry. I ate a meal and felt different. It also helps to pause. Halt Is an assessment tool where one does a self inventory to see what’s going on internally. A lot of times if we’re being pushed action is not the best intervention.
sometimes further assessment as to what is pushing us can help not only avoid the trap but help it from not happening again next time While simultaneously buying time and space from the addiction. If your on here you’re doing the right thing :slight_smile: you can and are doing it!!

6 Likes

Exersize drink loads of water eat right talk to friend if I salivate I spit it out or swallow it sometimes I associate the craving with a bad emotion by dry reaching (gagging) pray one day at a time five minutes at a time restart my day do something nice for someone do something expecting nothing in return

1 Like

One year no drinking tomorrow

7 Likes

Fuckin A man congratulations!! That’s an amazing accomplishment.

2 Likes

Thank you my bro one day at a time even one day is an accomplishment only 9 months off the drugs but yeah aa helped me to put the drugs down too. Thank you.

1 Like

This above has helped me. What also has helped me is to make a plan what to do when cravings kick in and how to stay sober. I called it my sober plan. I live by it.
If you type in “sober plan” above in the search bar at the :mag: you will find mine and others to look at. Maybe you can make your own?

5 Likes

Outstanding brother! Happy soberversary :smiley:

1 Like