I failed..... back to square 1

You absolutely know what to do. If nothing changes…nothing changes. U admit you have no self control once you start drinking…that means you have recognized you have a problem. The key to avoiding that problem is to not start drinking…having a talk with yourself in the mirror ahead of time doesn’t work, because you already admitted you cannot stop once you have started. The fact that you can’t make it past 4 days without using, is a choice. At some point in time you will need to make a decision not to take that first drink. However you get to that point is up to you…whether that’s through counseling, meetings or self control, the reality is you need to recognize that you are a problem drinker, none of us can make that self assessment for you.

Here’s what has worked for me:

1. Avoid the social situations that cause triggers
  2. Fill time with non-drinking related activities
  3. Don’t try to “test the waters” with just one or two drinks…U and I already know that doesn’t work
  4. Change your attitude about success in sobriety…don’t make yourself a victim, because when you continue to use words like “cant” and “failed” you reinforce your mental disbelief that you are even capable of succeeding

Try this one out…”I do NOT lose, I either WIN or I LEARN.” Be kind to yourself, but learn and move on with a purpose.

5 Likes

What @Spartan_Chris said!

2 Likes