I feel MEAN... N ANNOYED

Hello I’m new to the group 11 days sober and recently I found myself being a little more aggressive than normal. My drink made me a bubbly funny person I thought everyone was funny was always laughing. Now I find myself being annoyed by people I used to love being around, is this normal.

9 Likes

Hello, congrats for your sober time.
Maybe try not to think why you are annoyed, but whom you annoyed to, specially when you were drunk. Honestly, drinking does not make you funny. It is simply a disguise, a first view. Continuing drinking to be funny ends in sadness and depression.

Like AA says live and let live, do it simply and do not think in annoyances.

Kind regards.

3 Likes

Everything and everyone annoyed me during my first month of sobriety. Your mind, body and soul are going thru a lot of changes. Once, you get a little time under your belt, drunk people will still be annoying but naturally funny people will make you laugh again.

9 Likes

I second the comments made above… Drink doesn’t make people funny and bubbly, being drunk just makes the drunkard feel that they are funny and bubbly when they’re not.

Conversation gets sloppier and less interesting, and when you’re sober, a slurring, spitting, shouting person is not funny or bubbly. You just want to get away from them!

4 Likes

Exactly im like just shut up… and lord i thought i was hilarious.

2 Likes

Very normal from my understanding.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for all of your opinions I thought maybe I was just being a b word. My mom was like just you are taking out your sobriety very rudely on other people condescending and belittling people you’re not engaging in people and conversation

3 Likes

It’s completely normal. Finding some sober friends helped me immensely to get thru done of the yucky stuff as our bodies heal from alcohol use. Keep up the good work. I’m so glad you posted this.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on 11 days!!! What ur experiencing is absolutely normal. I was an effin b!tch in the beginning of me getting clean. I just think that in the beginning, when removing substances, we are faced with life on lifes terms. We dont have our usual “coping skills” of drinking and using drugs to fall back on and relearning how to cope with everyday stressors and people can be hard. Recovery is hard work!!! I found myself getting alot more irritable, more exhuasted physically and mentally, just overall cranky. But it calmed down for me over time. Once i started getting new coping skills in my recovery toolkit to use, things got easier and my moods leveled out. Hope u stick around and keep posting. We are all here to help!

3 Likes

Totally normal. We think booze makes us more fun, makes other people more fun. Nah. You might learn now that booze just made intolerable people temporarily tolerable. Booze is a wonderful LIAR.

2 Likes