I gave in ..... during the first week!

After a particular stressful day at work yesterday, emotionally and physically I reached for the wine bottle. When I first woke up this morning i was so angry and disgusted with myself. Only in my first week and I crumbled. How am I going to quit for good??
After my coffee and some paracetamol, I still feel angry with myself. But I realised I need to put something in place for when I’ve finished work to help shut my mind from my job and relax. Yesterday was my first day at work since deciding to quit drinking. I work 12 hour shifts as a nursing assistant, given the current climate conditions work has been pretty horrific and I’ve seen many deaths which has affected me.
I need some strong willpower And better coping strategies.
Back to reset I go

8 Likes

I can’t imagine how stressful health or carework would be right now. Be kind to urself. For some people, ‘one day at a time’, is easier than ‘for good’. Just don’t drink today.

2 Likes

Hi Lisa,
Well done for reaching out here and sharing where you’re at. It’s really tough breaking habits that have trapped our brains into wrong thinking.
Your idea to find something to help unwind when you get home sounds good. A nice bubble bath? Read a good book? Put on some favorite music? Look after some plants or grow some tomatoes?
It would be good to find a routine to help you at this difficult time.
Best wishes and take care - your worth it!
:blush:

2 Likes

Oh honey. I quit drinking a couple months ago. But I’ve quit probably 6 or 7 times. I’m sure there are people who are successful the first time and that’s great for them but I think multiple attempts before it finally takes is more the norm. Be kind to yourself. This is a difficult time for everyone and more for folks like you. I’m a home healthcare provider so I’m feeling some of what you’re going through too. But I’m not on the front lines so a bit of a difference at the same time.

I understand how quitting for good seems almost impossible if you can’t even make it a week. I’m still right there with you. It still feels so overwhelmingly impossible.

But look love, you gotta dust yourself off and start all over again. That’s all there is too it. The only other option is giving in and accepting addiction and I know you don’t wanna do that. I’m here with you, rooting for you no matter how many missteps. If you ever need to chat, feel free to reach out.

Remember be kind to yourself. Hang in there. Hugs. :hugs:

6 Likes

Thank you for you kind replies and advice which I will take on board. :heart:

Thats not a rear thing! Getting sober isnt a sprint, its life’s marathon…
Standing up counts ! On to another week !

No shame , you will get there if you want to

Angre is the worst advisor btw, be kind and full of love to yourself.
Reward every small step in full self conciousnes and embrace beïng voulnarabel, that will make you stronger then before

1 Like

Sending hugs your way!!
First off, thank you for the work you do! You are instrumental to beating this virus and we probably dont even live on the same continent but that doesnt matter in a global pandemic.
Second; I feel your anger and disgust, I was there a month ago…I caved after a day and a half. That feeling of “how am I ever going to make it permanent?!” All you can do is move on because you cant change what happened.
As for coping strategies…tough one. Standard things are exercise, creative outlets, seeking support. It all really depends on who you are and what you like, I’m still looking for a coping strategy too so I’m no expert :confused: maybe revisit old hobbies or talk to someone who knows you really well to see if they have ideas?
Best of luck and hang in there <3

1 Like

I’m starting over again 2day… with my personal life the way it is at the moment I’m finding it hard too… one day at a time… you will succeed… xxx

1 Like