I had a slip!

I am currently 2 months sober from meth. I’m doing great. I finished a rehab program. It was my third one. I am also a mother. I have a nice job. Last night, I had a guest and we smoked some weed together… it probably wasn’t the best idea… I’m still trying to rap my head around it…any sobriety advice or support is very much welcome!

6 Likes

Congratulations on ur 2 months off meth. Thats not an easy drug to get off of. I quit meth a loooong time ago and to this day i can recall the many months it took to feel somewhat normal again along with the insane psychological and physical effects it had on me. As for smoking weed… i know for me personally i couldnt do that safely. Basically, anytime i put any substance (even if it isnt my DOC) into my body, the disease of addiction roars its ugly head all over again. I may be okay once or twice using something other than what i was using, but history has shown me that i return every single time to using hard drugs again. Even tho u slipped, u havent forgotten all uv learned from treatment and from ur 2 months clean! Keep at it. Pick urself up and make plans for future triggering events. I find being prepared is crucial for when i get triggered to use. Keep at it and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I think you should focus on the fact you didnt smoke meth. Yea you slipt up and smoked a plant. Im not condoning it in your sobriety. If thats something your trying to stay off too. Just remember you didnt not smoke meth. And congrats on your 2 months thats effing badass. I wouldnt count that as a start over IMHO. What do i know im a junkie 18 days clean

1 Like

Hey thats just what i call it. Always said plant or herb. Im sorry for the trigger. Im a supper supportive person when it comes to peoples sobriety :cry: i apologize for my verbiage and triggering forgive me. Ill work on that

4 Likes

Just remember ANY mood altering substance can lead you back down that DARK TUNNEL!! It’s better to be smart than to try to be strong you’re in my prayers

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum. I have managed to stay clean from meth for almost 17.5 years. I did however make a massive mistake back in 2005 when I stopped using it. I blamed it for my addiction. I thought i had just gone too far, you know maybe if I hadnt started doing it that one way I would have been ok. I was fucking kidding myself… I ended up getting sucked into momny wine culture, then the craft beer crew. Before I knew it I was right where I left off in my meth addiction but I had a new DOC and one that was way more accepted by society. I wanted to die in shame as I dragged my baby girl through a 12 year long relapse with alcohol. I am coming up 3 years clean next week. Learn from my mistake, we cant do any drugs in any amount successfully. Stop while youre ahead. :heart:

13 Likes

It’s encouraging that you are posting looking for advice and support, not for someone to sign off that it’s okay to substitute one drug for another.

You’re a rehab pro now, so unless you weren’t paying attention, there probably isn’t much more information for you to absorb. You are asking an age old fundamental question - what does it take to commit to sobriety? It is possible to act your way into improved thinking, rather than think yourself into better actions, so take actions that build that sobriety. Like no substances or booze in the house, none at all by anyone even guests, for maybe 90 or 180 days. And it is most certainly okay to impose on the convenience or habits of others living with you - you need to do this for your health and sanity. If they will not support your actions, then find other ways to deal with the presence of drugs and booze - like maybe leaving the situation if required.

Do what you think is best regarding your sobriety date - you may consider restarting that as of today.

A couple of helpful discussions can be found here.

5 Likes

I find it easiest to share my direct experience rather than opinion.

2 Likes

My roommate in rehab was a meth head. I saw his/felt his struggle. I don’t think it’s the end of the world you smoked weed but agree with @Mimi21 and @Its_me_Stella . I had a hard time admitting my pot smoking was an addiction. No different essentially than my opiate addiction. I’ve come to the realization that I can’t imbibe any substance because in no time it will be using me I won’t be using it. Addiction,for me,runs deep. I recently came to the realization that a long ago relationship that inwardly and outwardly I called love was really an addiction. Some of us are just bent like that,not sayin’ you are as well but try to be alert and vigilant. Congratulations on 2 months sober from meth​:clap: that’s HUGE. You are supported. Praying for you :pray:

2 Likes

If you took a mind altering substance then you should start your sober journey again . I have 36 years experience in recovery so start again and hopefully your learn from your mistake wish you well

1 Like

Welcome Harley, it’s nice to meet you! :wave:t2: :innocent: Congrats on recognizing there’s a problem. That’s the first step to getting better :+1:t2:

Personally I find it a slippery slope when I start revising boundaries and giving myself permission to “act out” with my addiction (or with other “acting out” substances or behaviours). It basically boils down to this: I’m always moving towards something, I’m always working on something, so am I working on getting more addicted, or more recovered? Am I working on living my life and being present, healthy, clean in my life? Or am I escaping and avoiding my life (through the numbness of being high)? Because I can’t do both.

Getting clean is a process of discovery. It’s an adventure. It is a lot of new and different stuff, but it is worth it. Maybe next time a friend is over you can have a nice meal together instead, some fajitas, or even bake some cookies (yum :yum:). Something to make it special :innocent:

Part of you feels this is crossing a line, otherwise you wouldn’t be here posting about it. The good news is there’s a lot of constructive steps you can take here. Think about all the pleasurable things you get to enjoy with your child and yourself (and with other people too) when you’re clean and clear: walks in the park, sunsets, birdsong, art, books, gardening, etc etc - there’s so many things you can create and enjoy now :innocent:

4 Likes

Welcome and congrats on your 2 months meth free!!

I know for myself, I spent a long time quitting one substance to then develop an unhealthy relationship with another. I continued to do this until 1) I recognized I was doing it, and 2) I started working on WHY and WHAT I was avoiding or escaping from with substances and behaviors.

I always need to be 100% honest with myself. Am I using xyz as prescribed or to escape / alter my reality / get wasted? Why am I taking this supplement? Am I depending on it? Why am I engaging in this behavior? What is it I am avoiding? What feeling is in my body I am using xyz to not feel?

This is my lived experience with various substances / behaviors over the years.

Glad you are here and asking the questions. Keep fighting for YOU and a healthy healing life. It is 100% possible. And you are worth it. :heart:

4 Likes

Hmmmm. I can’t count the times I drank things that come from plants, to my detriment.

If it were me, I’d call it a slip, because it’s exactly what it would be. It’s not about the particular substance, DOC or not.

If my mind and perceptions are artificially altered, I am not sober.

If quitting meth is your goal, does smoking weed or drinking booze increase the chances that you’d use your DOC? Is your judgment impaired even in the slightest?

I haven’t smoked weed since 1983. It’s legal now where I live. I won’t touch it because I’d probably like it too much, and I refuse to be mentally or physically enslaved by any substance.

But I am me, and you are you. Your mileage may vary.

3 Likes