I Have a Love Hate Relationship with the Timer

The timer keeps me motivated to stay sober. I hate it and love it at the same time. I actually delayed downloading this app because I knew once that timer started I was going to have to make a commitment to myself to be sober, there was no turning back, I couldn’t ignore it anymore. Every milestone I hit (the next one being 7 days) makes me more and more motivated to stay sober and at the same time it “taunts” me by reminding me of how long it’s been since I’ve had a drink. But it’s must say, today was an immense struggle, I felt awful, the craving to drink lasted all day long and my anxiety spike only fueled that need. But now being about 15 minutes away from my 4 day mark, the craving has finally subsided and I’m feeling great!

9 Likes

You can do it! We will all cheer you on. In my recovery there were a few stages detox, withdrawal/cravings and the mental withdrawal. I’m lucky the first two weren’t bad for me this time. But as you get the why’s fixed all of it gets so much easier! Keep going you are 1/2 way to a week!!

2 Likes

Keep with it and stay focused. I agree about the timer. Stay strong and keep on, you’re doing great!!

1 Like

I love it when my timer has lots of days on it and i hate it when theres not a lot of days. But the reason i use it is because it keeps me honest. I am trying to be honest when im sober amd honest when i relapse and drink. I think we believe the lies everytime we drink or use addictive substances. That timer is truth and one way or another the truth will set you free. :dove:

2 Likes

This is the first time I’ve truly consciously committed to being sober. I’m 4 and a half days in and I hope that I will not have to have to experience of resetting it, no matter how much I want to. The past few days have been a serious struggle, but my mental and physical heath and general sobriety mean so much to me. I just want to be strong enough to keep going that way!

Good for you making the decision to quit. If you get stressed out or bothered by something reach out early. Last relapse i had i got scared something could be wrong with the baby and i didnt say anything or ask for help.

1 Like

Yeah, the timer can be a hard master. You look at it sometimes and you see success. Sometimes you look at it and see “damn, it’s only been that long since last time I looked at it?” It took me quite a while to be good with having it in days rather than hours.

1 Like