I have had an extremely hard relapse

I relapsed and I’m having a really hard time mentally and physically getting through it, I went into a lake while it was storming, and police were called and they swam out to get me I was hypothermic, my body temperature was 31 degrees, I got saved, and now I’m faced with the humiliation of what’s happened. And I’m so fucking scared. I’m having a really hard time bouncing back from this, I don’t know how to move forward.

2 Likes

Who do you see yourself humiliating yourself to m8? Whats done is done and I’m sure that those close to you are just happy that your still around. Was it drink or drugs that you used? Can you analyse what lead to this relapse so that you can put things I place for the next time?
Fear is a completely rational thing to be feeling and there sin really anything to be ashamed about,I can assure you that I’ve done far worse things than this though I understand that won’t make you feel any better.
Have you ever thpught about receiving any form of treatment be it rehab or simply talking with your local drug and alcohol services,they or your doctor could point you in the direction of some excellent services to help you. :slight_smile::slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks for being here with us. I’m so glad that you are here.

It’s very frightening, what’s happened, so its completely understandable to be scared… Just be safe today, this could be a bottom for you, which means things will only get better from here.

Thanks for being brave again, still.

5 Likes

That sounds scary and sad. I am glad you are okay. :heart: Focus on being sober today, repeat tomorrow. Baby steps can and do add up. Glad you are posting here as well, stick around!

5 Likes

I’m an alcoholic, I honestly don’t really remember much from the last few days. I’m having a hard time grasping what’s happened, I have a counselling session set up, but just for today I’m really struggling.

2 Likes

Well stick close to the forum today,what’s done is done all that matters now is trying to find a way forward. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am still struggeling myself cant give you any helpful advice, but i am glad that you are still alive :kiss:

1 Like

Oh my, I’m so glad you’re still here. :heart:
I totally understand the humiliation part, and even though this doesn’t help you right now, trust me it will fade over time. One day it will feel like a different lifetime. I can’t imagine how scary all this must have been for you.

Maybe you could try seeing the positives in this. People cared about you to do everything possible to save you and that’s awesome :blush:
The emotional and physical wounds are still very fresh and tender but time will heal this.
See it as the ultimate New start, there is a reason for everything.

Possibly this happened so you can later down the road help someone else in a similar situation.
Maybe this was the only way that God knew how to get to you, how to reach you, how to finally make that difference in your life, so that you can live a happy and fulfilling one. :grin:

Things could have ended much differently. Take it, accept it and run with it :slight_smile:
This is your chance! Don’t let it get you down.

Focus on healing, relaxing, regaining your strength day by day and hour by hour.
Sleep is the best thing at this point :kissing_heart:
It helps me tremendously when I feel sad.
Keep us posted.
Here are many people who care and we are cheering for you.

6 Likes

Thank you to everyone who took the time to talk to me, I know that I’m not alone, and moving forward will be hard. But I really appreciate the comments and support, it means the world to me.

10 Likes

Yur safe now that all that matters back on that horse wish you well

3 Likes

The human eye sees contrast best, and the mind processes contrast easiest.

If you feel humiliated by your actions when drunk, let this be what drives you forward to sober greatness. Let people say “Kirstin is an awesome person who brings joy to everyone around her. Hard to believe she almost accidentally killed herself in a lake. What a loss that would have been…”

Pain is temporary. Healthy pride is forever.

7 Likes

Glad to hear you set up a counselling session. Power through today. What’s happened, has happened. It will be forgotten over time. Focus purely on staying sober. Remind yourself of this dark time, if you feel the need to pick up a bottle. Best of luck on your journey. We’re all here for you!

2 Likes

Hey there. I relapsed after 9months…at first I was totally baffled. I wrote down in detail acounts of events leading up to it. Its gave me clarity and acceptance. I was dishonest about my feelings, resentful, running on self will and spiritually unwell…then put myself in a dangerous position when vaunrable. I have learnt alot from it and my recovery has been stronger in the last 17days than it was months before. Ive up’d my game because I don’t want that hell anymore and I want to live today. Reach out, pray, meditate and be honest about you feelings. You are not alone

6 Likes

@Shellesso welcome to the community Shirley. :slight_smile::slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you…its great to be here :blush: still trying to figure this forum out lol

3 Likes

How are you doing today?

1 Like

Happy you’re here :black_heart: alcohol has led me to near death many times, and the underlying factor in all of those times was not being honest with myself and processing my emotions in a healthy way. Self awareness is hard, but worth it.
Outpatient, therapy, meetings, and recent completion from inpatient has been monumental in my recovery.
Stick around. Recovery is worth it.

2 Likes

Be strong and be patient
You will overcome this problem :heart:

1 Like

I did something very similar about 7 years ago. I got drunk, stripped off (completely :scream:) and went into the sea. I then passed out WHILE STILL IN THE SEA. I was picked up by a lifeboat a few hours later. My parents had to come get me as my clothes and bag were swept out to sea. It is one of the most awful things I have ever done, I still feel deep shame to this day and never really properly apologised to my parents as I am so embarrassed. I got severe panic attacks and vivid dreams about drowning for months afterwards.

BUT it gets better. I wish I had quit drinking there and then, but somehow even that incident wasn’t enough to convince me I had a problem. However with time and now with sobriety, it is a distant memory. If you met me now you wouldn’t think I would be capable of such stupidity. Back then it was very much in line with my usual conduct.

So I think you’re doing great by knowing it is an issue and getting counselling to deal with how you feel about what happened. My “incident” no longer defines me, and if you give yourself time and patience I think you’ll soon feel the same way too. Be kind to yourself and remember, one day at a time xxx

4 Likes